We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Temperatures in downtown San Francisco

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Temperatures in downtown San Francisco

I'll be staying near Union Square this weekend (4/20) and I'm looking at what to pack. Temps for San Francisco this weekend are forecast for 58-70, but is that for the airport? I seem to recall that downtown can be much cooler than the airport. Bring a jacket?

Thanks.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,813 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Temperatures in downtown San Francisco

www.wunderground.com/q/zmw:94101.1.99999

If you look at SF and not SFO for your temperature it will tell you which location it is an estimate for. This weekend is supposed to be warm for a change so yes it will be very nice but as we all suggest, it could get windy by the bay and cool as the sun sets so a jacket will be needed in the evening.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Temperatures in downtown San Francisco

We just return from a trip and I would recommend a jacket. It might be cool and windy at 50 degrees or pretty warm at 70+ degrees depending on which block you are on! I used a rain coat as a wind breaker, that way if it decides to rain I'm all set also.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Temperatures in downtown San Francisco

I did hear it was going to be warm but you'll still need a jacket for evenings and when you're along the water. Golden Gate Park is always cooler than downtown (which is one of the warmer parts of town). This is not much of a "shorts" kind of place however.

Plan to layer and perhaps have a day pack of some sort to store the unneeded parts of your ensemble.

sf
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Temperatures in downtown San Francisco

The airport is generally 5-10 degrees warmer than the city, and no matter what the day starts out at it'll change. Also due to the microclimated here you'll have different temps in different neighborhoods, but it generally colder by the Ocean, than arouind the Bay except near the GGB.

Bring a light jacket, and since you're from Seattle the shorts also. I know for me this is the start of Shorts season.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,890 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Temperatures in downtown San Francisco

I agree with the PPs to bring a jacket. I'd personally take a heavier jacket or windbreaker for any SF <62 degree temperature because of the windy and shady "canyons" between the buildings. This week has been and continues to be exceptionally nice. I just left this morning and wish I were still there, and even I--the biggest wimp-- peeled down to my shortsleeved top both in downtown SF AND the Golden Gate Park. But SF weather is so variable, the only way to go is layers. But if you forget to bring warm clothes and need them, there are lots of stores that can accommodate your needs.

USA
Level Contributor
92 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Temperatures in downtown San Francisco

This is going to be a very very nice weekend! Congratulations on catching SF on one of the rare days where the weather is warm!

Still, the evening will require pants and a coat. Shorts might be doable if you are in the sun and during the sunny part of the afternoon. Normally shorts are not advisable here.

sf
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Temperatures in downtown San Francisco

By local standards this is a minor heat wave, in mid to high 70's, definitely shorts weather daytime. Why all the Shorts Naysayers, didn't anyone play Soccer around here, I know I did. Now shorts at Beach Chalet are a different matter.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,468 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Temperatures in downtown San Francisco

I would leave the shorts at home. They are not common wearing apparel in San Francisco. Save the room for an extra light sweater to layer under a heavier jacket.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,119 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Temperatures in downtown San Francisco

>I would leave the shorts at home. They are not common wearing apparel in San Francisco<

That's not totaly true Puter. I see lots of Shivering Tourists in them.

Always bring layers to SF.

I remember one gorgeous 75 degree day when I decided I didn't need my leather coat anymore. Decided to walk over Russian Hill to go out to eat. As we started to get to the top of the hill we saw this ominous cloud bank rolling our way...uh-oh..5 blocks later and 25 degrees colder we were frozen when we got to the restaurant. (took a cab back to Union Square)

You never know what that coastal fog is going to do.

Edited: 20 April 2012, 06:44
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,468 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Temperatures in downtown San Francisco

Shorts.

>>That's not totally true Puter. I see lots of Shivering Tourists in them.<<

I wasn't talking about tourists, only trying to tell them that they don't really work, either as fashion or as reasonable local attire. When in Rome, not when in Ft. Lauderdale.

Locals wear shorts rarely, in my experience. I can't remember when I saw somebody walking down Market or Powell Streets wearing shorts. OH...forgot. I don't frequent Fisherman's Wharf. Is that where the 'shorts wearers' hang out?

I have had the same experience as you describe. Lesson:....layer, layer, layer.

(Don't bring shorts.) <grin>