We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golden Gate Promenade

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,265 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Golden Gate Promenade

We arrive sunday for our 2nd trip to SF. We should get to our hotel the Columbus Motor Inn by 1 pm we plan to hit the ground running as we only have 5 days this trip.

We would like to walk the Golden Gate Promenade to Fort Point that afternoon as Fort Point is only open on the weekends and we missed it last trip. Should we just walk all the way from the FW area and how many miles is that or take the #30 part of the way to access the GGP. We plan on taking a bus back from the Bridge.

Really looking forward to our trip

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golden Gate Promenade

From CMI to the base of the bridge is about 4 miles.

Whether you want to walk the entire way or not is up to you but I think the nicest part of the walk is along Crissy Field. Taking the 30-Stockton (destination: Broderick) to Broderick and Beach brings you to the beginning of Crissy Field.

About a decade ago this was still in its old airfield configuration and was reclaimed after the NPS took over the Presidio from the Army. So much wonderful work was done, much by volunteers, to turn the airfield (and before that the target range) back into its original lagoon and dune planting.

Be sure to bundle up, it's usually windy out there in the afternoons. Enjoy!

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,518 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Golden Gate Promenade

Personally, I'd take a taxi there (to maximize your time), then walk back along Crissy Field to the Wharf.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Golden Gate Promenade

If you get a chance walk up to the Disney Family Museum and up to the Presidio Bowl and you can get a great view of the Bridge from there and it is one of my fav views, that side of town.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Golden Gate Promenade

Susan has a good logistical suggestion in post #2. Downside is, you will walk back with your back to the bridge. If you're pressed for time, take a cab to Crissy (or the Palace of Fine Arts would be a good starting point), make the walk out and either bus or perhaps pick up a cab back.

The bus ride from the bridge to Fort Mason is pretty fast as it doesn't stop every block -- there are only 8 stops before the end of the line at Fort Mason. From there walk up the hill, through the Great Meadow, down the hill and you'll be at Aquatic Park.

Or if you don't want to wak through Fort Mason, get off the 28 at Chesnut and transfer to the inbound 30-Stockton. It will stop right in front of the CMI.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,846 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Golden Gate Promenade

In an important point was missed: OP will be arriving *THIS* Sunday. Doyle Drive will be closed!

There will be no Muni or Golden Gate Transit bus service between the Golden Gate Bridge and Lombard Street. Taking a taxi is not advised. Driving is an even worse idea.

If you cannot walk or bike, you can rely on the PresidiGo shuttle. The Crissy Field route makes several stops that you can use. The Palace of Fine Arts stop is within walking distance of the end of the 30 line.

Good luck!

P.S. Expect construction noise at Crissy Field.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,846 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Golden Gate Promenade

P.S. Here is the PresidiGo information: http://www.presidio.gov/shuttle

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Golden Gate Promenade

Whoops! Thanks much davdaven. Somehow I had it in mind that UNCMOM was coming in May.

Best bet would be

1) walk the entire way

2) get the 30-Stockton to the Palace of Fine Arts and start/stop walk there.

3) bike

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,265 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Golden Gate Promenade

Good to know thanks.

Ok so If taking a bus back is a no go how far is the walk from Palace of Fine Arts to Fort Point?

I guess we can walk to and fro and then catch the 30 back at the same spot.

Glad I decided to get on here and ask.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Golden Gate Promenade

<<How far is the walk from Palace of Fine Arts to Fort Point?>>

2 miles

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,265 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Golden Gate Promenade

Thanks Sal 2 miles each way sounds fine we like to walk and it will be nice to stretch out our legs after being on a plane.

I read your other thread good to know the work will be done by 5am monday as we are taking Tom's Tour to Muir Woods that day.