We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choice of neighborhoods?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Choice of neighborhoods?

We are a family of 4 from Australia(2 adults, 2 boys aged 16 & 13) and will be spending 3 days in SF as part of a month long trip. We will be in SF 28, 29, 30th December.

I have found three terrific apartments, but am not sure which location would be best (we will have a hire car but I believe SF public transport is great).

The areas I am trying to choose between are: Nob Hill, Castro area or Pacific Heights. Any advice gratefully accepted!

Lisa

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Choice of neighborhoods?

For Nob Hill I would suggest you get the exact location (or street and cross street) as this is an area that can change from lovely to OK to bad in a few blocks.

The upside to Nob Hill is that it is closer to downtown than the other two areas. The downsid is that it's on top of a hill which can get tiresome to get up and back all the time.

Either Castro or Pacific Heights could be great locations but I'd still get the exact location. The definition of Pac Heights gets stretched as well. While most people know, the Castro is a predominately gay neighborhood so if that disturbs you it wouldn't be the best place to base yourself. However, it's a very safe area with lots of great shops and restos.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Choice of neighborhoods?

Thank you very much for your reply. I can't find the exact location ofr the Castro apartment but the apartment in Pacific Hts is next to Alta Plaza Park, Bus Stop 3 Blocks From Fillmore St. It sounds like a great location????

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Choice of neighborhoods?

Yes, anything on Alta Plaza would be lovely. 3 blocks from Fillmore would be Scott Street. Lots of shops and restaurants on Fillmore.

The 3-Jackson bus runs along Jackson to Fillmore and then to Post to Union Square. The 22-Fillmore runs north to Cow Hollow and the Marina, south to the lower Haight, Duboce Park, Castro/Dolores Park and on to the Mission. The 24-Divisadero runs on Jackson to NOPA and on to Noe Valley. The 1-California runs on Sacramento St. to the Embarcadero and on California St. to 33rd Ave -- which is very close to the Legion of Honor and not far to the beach.

Very safe area to be out and around in at night.

Email the owner for the specific location of the Castro apt if you are still considering it. Many, if not most, parts of the Castro are close to the Muni Metro system which runs underground to downtown, which makes it very convenient for getting around.

Edited: 28 April 2012, 15:39
Ireland
Level Contributor
475 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Choice of neighborhoods?

Hi That's a lovely area ,Pacific heights. Good Luck. Myself and friends going to S.F. in Sep and hope to stay in our fave hotel on Union Sq, we waiting to see if any rooms left, If not I may look at apartments. How did you find yours? Would appreciate any advice on apartments.. Thanks

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,986 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Choice of neighborhoods?

"the Castro is a predominately gay neighborhood so if that disturbs you it wouldn't be the best place to base yourself."

Change the word "gay" with any other minority group and that would be considered insulting.

I know it wasn't meant that way - but it will be nice when we can get past that as a society.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,405 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Choice of neighborhoods?

While I agree with the broader point, the reality remains * for the time being * that some visitors still aren't at ease seeing same-sex couples holding hands or being openly affectionate. For some people, living near same-sex couples isn't the optimum choice. Most people could care less, but I think the observation is helpful for some visitors.

USA
Level Contributor
92 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Choice of neighborhoods?

If it were me, my primary concern would be public transportation and grocery stores being nearby. It would be helpful if you provided nearby cross streets for your options.

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Choice of neighborhoods?

A couple of years ago the paper had an article about tour buses going to Castro. A man was quoted "they say it is a gay area, but I didn't feel anything."

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,405 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Choice of neighborhoods?

Well, sure. Being on a bus and walking on Castro or on 18th Street is a little different.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,236 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Choice of neighborhoods?

It was a joke on the two meanings of "gay".