We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport: outbound processing

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
518 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Airport: outbound processing

We are flying from San Francisco to Canada. Could you please give us a guide for the time involved in security, check-in and other processing? In other words, how long before the flight, should we get to the airport?

Many thanks

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport: outbound processing

This is an International flight. I'd get there 2+ hours ahead (2 if you have no checked bags, 2.5 if you have luggage to check, 3 if you're OCD like me).

PS ... Love your avatar :)

Edited: 02 May 2012, 02:29
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,301 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport: outbound processing

There is no immigration or customs for any International flight leaving any US airport. You check in and then go through security I think a couple of hours is fine That is what we do

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport: outbound processing

I copied this from Delta Airlines.

The recommended arrival time at the airport prior to departure of International Flights is 3 hours.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
518 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport: outbound processing

Thanks for this info, everyone.

RamblinSal: the koala. Becoming quite endangered because of urban sprawl. The avatar gives a quick recognisable indication of where we are coming from.

Hooroo

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
18,163 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport: outbound processing

Actually, I think flights to Canada are processed as domestic flights, with all customs and immigration formalities completed on arrival in Canada. Best to check with your airline.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,301 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport: outbound processing

SFSusan writes >>>>>I think flights to Canada are processed as domestic flights, with all customs and immigration formalities completed on arrival in Canada. Best to check with your airline.

There is no outbound Customs or Immigration processing at SFO for any International flight so every flight is "processed" just like a domestic flight but they depart from the International terminal and that is the only difference. Wether you fly to Canada or UK or Japan, you stil go through customs/immigration in the country of arrival.

The big difference is inbound into the US ---- for all flights from major Canadian airports into US airports. US immigration and customs processing is done at airports such as Toronto and Vancouver and when you arrive at SFO and don't have to go through it again

Edited: 02 May 2012, 18:18
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
518 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport: outbound processing

Many thanks for this advice.

So, given the above, for travel SFO to Canada, how much time before the flight should we arrive at the airport?

And would this amount of time change for air travel Canada to the US? (I am thinking so).

Many thanks

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport: outbound processing

if you are flying with AA. 1 hour is enough...they have their own terminal(terminal 2) and security is fast

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport: outbound processing

One VERY minor issue, some (small percentage) of folks do need to have their passport or other documents stamped by an immgration officer on the date of departure. The Passenger is the person reasonable to find the location of the officer, and get the proper stamp.

For Canadians, those who spend about half their time in the US need the exit stamp, to prove they spent more than half the year in Canada, mainly for tax reasons

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,301 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport: outbound processing

We do 2 hours and most airlines say 3 so you can decide what you feel comfortable with.

Now on the other hand, my experience with Toronto and Montreal has been long long lines to get through Immigration so you do need to check with your airline in Canada -- We go 3 hours for sure in a place like Toronto.