We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A bit off topic - Gold Country

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
AZ
Level Contributor
3,674 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
A bit off topic - Gold Country

Hi - have posted here in preparation for our trips to the city for a couple of years now but this one is a bit different - no trip to the city this year :( You guys have been so great that I am reaching here and hoping that someone will be able to help me.

I am looking for information about the American River Music Festival and have posted in the Coloma, Reno, Truckee and Lake Tahoe forum to no avail. I am hoping that one of you world-wise San Franciscans have some experience with this one.

It is being held in Coloma (heart of Gold Country) Sept 14-16 and I am just looking for some guidance about campgrounds to stay at and the festival in general.

www.americanrivermusic.org/festival.php

Thanks in advance and hi to some of my old forum friends if they are still around :-)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,791 posts
1,036 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A bit off topic - Gold Country

RV or tent camping?

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A bit off topic - Gold Country

The festival offers camping at 3 private campgrounds.

Earthtrek is along the river and is the campground for the river rafting trips. They provide the tents so you wouldn't have to buy so much gear:

http://www.earthtrekexpeditions.com/

Camp Lotus is along the river offering grassy sites for tents, has some cabins and rv sites.

www.camplotus.com/Camp_Lotus/Welcome.html

American River Resort is along hte river with some shady spots:

americanriverresort.com/tour/campsites.html

Or cabins:

www.americanriverresort.com/tour/cabins.html

or RV spots

www.americanriverresort.com/tour/rvs.html

AZ
Level Contributor
3,674 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A bit off topic - Gold Country

Thanks for your replies - has anybody been there? We will have a car but really just want to park it so I have been looking at maps on the Coloma website for proximity. We drove through there last summer but did not stop and get the lay of the land.

We will be flying in to Reno so will have to rent all of our gear and Earthrek has tent cabins and sleeping bags available for rent. Camp Lotus has a tipi so that might be fun (Hubs is a Hopi guy from Az ;) but seems to be much farther from some of the action. The good thing is that there are shuttles to the main stage from all three of the campsites.

The festival looks like a lot of fun and a great way to spend some time kicking back on the river - it is kind of surprising that no TAers in the region have been to it.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A bit off topic - Gold Country

I think a lot of us have been there, but like you were driving through. Try posting on the Gold Country forum or the Sacramento forum. Also look at Yelp.com for campground reviews. I've found yelp really helpful for that.

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=campgrounds&find_loc=colma%2C+CA&ns=1&ls=ee279809562d3b61#find_loc=placerville,+CA

Edited: 09 May 2012, 14:59
California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A bit off topic - Gold Country

It may be hard to get a review of these private campgrounds, especially since some of them are used only by the rafting compay for their raft trips.

You don't have to drive once you arrive at your campsite since as you say they offer shuttles to all the other venues so youwould be able to just park it.

So are you looking for a campground that is closest to the mainstage?

The Mainstage is at Henningsen-Lotus Park. Camp Lotus is 7/10th of a mile down river from the Park. If you are looking at the map the is a bend in hte river and it's a bit beyond that off Bassi Road.

Earthtrek is just north of the Mainstage less than 1/2 mile from teh park but on the opposite side of the river. You have to go out to Golden Chain HIghway and then right on Lotus to get ot eh PArk.

American River Resort is more than a mile away. It's located in Coloma rather than in Lotus where the other venues are.

AZ
Level Contributor
3,674 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A bit off topic - Gold Country

I think we are going to go with Earthtrek - I like the proximity to some of the restaurant venues for the festival - actually not looking for the campground closest the main stage since there are shuttles to that.

Thanks a bunch for the input!

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A bit off topic - Gold Country

I think you have chosen the best one, myself. I would have selected Earthtrek too.

Sierra Foothills, CA
Level Contributor
24 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A bit off topic - Gold Country

Not sure what other things you might have in mind, but Mahjaic Restaurant is right in the vicinity offering an outstanding dining experience. Also there are a number of nice wineries in the immediate vicinity my favorites being David Girard Vineyards, and Cielo Estates. Gold Hill Winery and Micro Brewery is right there too - go for the beer.

9. Re: A bit off topic - Gold Country

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 03:16