We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Iconic" Food

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
"Iconic" Food

Clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl? <snicker....>

Steak or barbeque? <well you can try.....>

Whatever the heck our "culinary adventurers" were seeking?

Yesterday's SF Chronicle electronic edition has an interesting conversation starter list of possible "iconic" foods for San Francisco.

…sfgate.com/blog/…

Although the SFGate comments section is generally an evil place, the discussions that follow the posting are actually fairly reasonable and on topic for once.

And the photo of that pink brick popcorn stuff sent me all the way back to the happy place of afternoon visits to China Beach with Venerable Mom.....

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,244 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Iconic" Food

Iconic food discussion has migrated into iconic restaurant discussion.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,594 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Iconic" Food

Most of the items in that article are a bit ridiculous. It would be interesting to know what TripAdvisor visitors (not locals) think of as iconic San Francisco foods.

I'm guessing most would include the clam chowder & sourdough bread bowl.

Ghirardelli chocolates.

Irish Coffee.

One out of three ain't bad. Most people don't know the history of the fortune cookie, or the martini.

And while I loved the pink popcorn brick as a kid - I associate that more with Ringling Brothers, Barnum & Bailey Circus - and not San Francisco.

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Iconic" Food

I would go with Ghirardelli chocolates.

Reason I can buy it in my local super market.

But it does originate only in San Francisco.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,460 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Iconic" Food

I was so busy eating my rice a roni for lunch that i forgot to reply to this thread. We did get asked about riding on the Rice A Roni car once i think a few months ago. I enjoy it as much as my Quaker Oats in the morning -- what can I say I like all things made by that company

Edited: 17 May 2012, 22:02
--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Iconic" Food

midon1 writes>>....But it does originate only in San Francisco.<<

I'm unclear on this one:

1. Ghirardely & Girard first opened in September 1852 at the corner of Washington & Kearny Streets in San Francisco. It became D. Ghirardelli & Co a few months later.

2. The Ghirardelli Chocolate Company has passed through a series of owners (Golden Grain Macaroni, Quaker Oats, a private investment company, and now Lindt and Sprüngli via their corporate holding company).

3. Manufacturing of Ghirardelli Chocolate moved to San Leandro CA in 1967.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,885 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Iconic" Food

Food that to me is iconic of SF include Dungeness crab, sourdough, Rice-a-roni (sorry, it IS from San Francisco, having started in the Mission District), The Mission style burrito, Anchor Steam Beer, cioppino, abalone, Irish coffee (yes I know the Buena Vista Cafe didn't invent, yes I know Tom Bergin's says they had it first in the US, but I still associate it with the Buena Vista Cafe and SF), Joe's Special and chop suey.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
181 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: "Iconic" Food

Definitely Molinari salami! It's the only salami I'll eat (although I don't eat the hot salami shown in the photo, I prefer the dry salami)...

sf
Level Contributor
3,251 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: "Iconic" Food

I didn't get the Fernet, since its not from here at all, I still like Anchor, Garlic fries, and Burritos/tacos at La Taqueria, but have alomost choked and lost somme teeth with the Pink Bricks at the Zoo. Zuni's chicken is good but takes tooo long, and the Irish Coffee 's are great at the BV on the rare times I'm at the Wharf.

Edited: 17 May 2012, 23:14
Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "Iconic" Food

Thank you Caffiend.

I thought it was still manufactured in San Francisco.

I still believe it is still very closely associated with San Francisco

Like Levi Jeans.

Edited: 17 May 2012, 23:16
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,460 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "Iconic" Food

By the way, Welcome back Caffiend -- A short respite from TA ? Missed us right ? We missed you.