We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June Gloom?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
205 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
June Gloom?

Wife and I leave for Cali tomorrow. I'm a photographer and this will be my first visit. So I'm very excited to photograph the coast! I'm taking all my equipment with me. And then today a coworker told me I was going at the worst time of year because of something called "May Gray" and "June Gloom"

:(

Will I not be getting spectacular photos (particularly sunset photos)??? Will everything be grey and foggy? :(

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,355 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June Gloom?

Summer is foggy at times in SF and one does get clouds along the coast. Does that happen every hour or every day ? No it does happen but at times one can get lucky. That helps keep Sf cool and with no humidity

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June Gloom?

Here is a link for photos taken 5/23 and previous.

Here is link for May Gray 7 June gloom http://meteora.ucsd.edu/cap/gloom.html

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: June Gloom?

Here is a link for sunrise & sunset times nation wide

www.sunrisesunset.com/usa/California.asp

Good items to carry circular polarizer & split nd filter

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: June Gloom?

"May Gray" and "June Gloom" are more Southern California phenonmena.

San Francisco gets fog when the interior valley gets hot, drawing the cold air over the Pacific towards the hot inlad air. Right now (7AM PDT) it is bright and clear blue sky. It was a gorgeous sunrise. Yesterday was the same. It was foggy last week.

Weather is just one of those things. Even our meterologists are right only about half the time (what a great job - you get to be wrong 50% of the time!).

Fog is very photogenic. May Gray less so.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,046 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: June Gloom?

Some of the better photos I've seen taken in SF and along the California coast have some element of fog in them. It isn't always the pea soup kind of fog you may be concerned about. So come and don't despair.

Here are some photos taken last year by a fellow TA that might help ease your concerns:

Picasaweb.google.com/mjneenan

Edited: 24 May 2012, 17:24
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,046 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: June Gloom?

Click on California Coast June 2011 in the above link

sf
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: June Gloom?

First off "CALI" is in Columbia, then lets get to weather. Right now we're having a lot of wind which generally keeps the fog off the coast. Weather here is very fluid, and hasn't started the usual "Marine Layer" effect.

Enjoy your trip, and if you don't like the fog, take a ride up to Napa or Sonoma where the scenery is beautiful, and a good bit warmer.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,254 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: June Gloom?

If it does happen to be overcast and the light isn't great, consider shooting in B&W. And as Kibblesmom says, fog can make for some very interesting shots - obscures some things, changed the light, etc. Fog here is very changable - it is esspecially interesting when the fog is coming in.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: June Gloom?

The fog in SF generally comes in tunnel formation hitting Daly City, west side of city, and tunneling through the GG Bridge. It tends to come in more in the afternoon so getting out early mornings is better bet but never fully predictable.

Generally you will not see fog in some areas of city hardly ever, like Potrero Hill - there are great downtown views from there where have seen many a photographer along 18th or 20th Street taking pictures such as this...

www.flickr.com/photos/pbo31/2347123828/

10. Re: June Gloom?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 08:16