We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opinions needed for Yosemite day trip options

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
195 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Opinions needed for Yosemite day trip options

We will be in SF for 7 full days at the end of June. Family of 5, kid ages 5, 15, 17. The older kids want to take a trip to Yosemite. We don't want to stay overnight in the vicinity of the park (hassle finding accommodations for 5), nor do we want to drive ourselves, so a day trip with one of the tour companies is our best bet. Most of the posts here recommend the smaller group tours, which I understand, but I have a practical question...with a little one along, what about potty breaks? I almost think a bus is a better option due to the on-board toilet. Does anyone have any input on this? Any recommendations on bus tour companies. Thanks!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Opinions needed for Yosemite day trip options

Quite frankly with a 5 year old I cannot imagine subjecting him/her to an 8 hour bus trip.

Either split up the family and have one parent stay in SF with the 5 year old or save the trip for another time.

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Opinions needed for Yosemite day trip options

Please let us know your blood pressure after making this trip.

Two teenagers and a five year old.

This trip will get very old for them after 30 minutes tops.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,061 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Opinions needed for Yosemite day trip options

Sorry but if the potty break is the only issue you have, I am sure the driver will oblige and others won't mind but as was pointed out, it is really a long long trip and you get just a few hours in Yosemite I am sure the Yosemite DE will help you find room for 5 so you can do an overnight

Edited: 04 June 2012, 02:29
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,061 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Opinions needed for Yosemite day trip options

Forgot to add

Since it is your vacation -- here are 2 companies. Incredible Adventures and Extanomical

Good luck

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,972 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Opinions needed for Yosemite day trip options

There are 4 Yosemite DEs and any one of us can offer some excellent ideas for accommodations for 5 ... or 10 or even 15!

I have read some of the trip reviews from folks who have taken a tour with Extranomical or Incredible Adventures and it appears that a short break is offered after about 2 hours. Then 2 more hours in the van. I don't know about buses but a 4 hr bus ride on those winding roads isn't appealing either.

Renting a car and driving is a much better & easier option. Please visit us on the Yosemite forum if you want ideas. We can even tell you about a train + bus option or an option using a bus for the last 30 - 75 minutes of the trip (driving to the 'gateway' town.)

But if you're convinced that a day trip is wise, then look into those two companies or others mentioned in the Things to Do section here on the SF page.

----------

Love the comfy fit of the Tardy Typist Tiara. Thanks belo.

Edited: 04 June 2012, 02:37
Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
195 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Opinions needed for Yosemite day trip options

Okay, based on the responses, I'm rethinking making this trip. Yosemite will probably have to wait until another trip, which likely means when I'm retired or never. I'll have to ask the big kids if they're really hell-bent on going to see Yosemite or just giving me what they consider to be the politically correct answer. There is plenty to do in San Francisco and closer environs. Maybe Muir Woods instead.

7. Re: Opinions needed for Yosemite day trip options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 21:40