We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does this look feasible? Or should I cut/rearrange..?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Great Falls, Montana
Level Contributor
212 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Does this look feasible? Or should I cut/rearrange..?

Sunday

4:10 pm: Flight arrives in Oakland

4:30: Take Shuttle, then Bart, then bus 2—walk to 1448 Bush St 3C

5:30: Walk to Sutter Fine Foods to get Muni pass & pop, lunch supplies, etc

6:00: Slider’s Diner

7:00: Pacific Heights/Cow Hollow walking tour (guide book)

Monday

9:00 am: Defenestration Building

10-11:00 am: City Hall tour

11:30: lunch at Hong Kong Clay Pot for dim sum

1:30 pm: Chinatown walking tour

4:00 pm: old St. Mary’s Cathedral

5:30 pm: dinner at Honey Honey Café & Crepery

7:00: movie at The Castro Theatre

Tuesday

8:00 am: Rent electric bike Blazing Saddles –433 mason st.

9:30 am :Legion of Honor

11:00: Cliff House and Sutro Bath Ruins

12:00 pm: Eat sack lunch by the windmill

12:30 pm: Zoo

3:30 pm: Drive back through Golden Gate Park, and back by “Painted Ladies”

4:30: Grace Cathedral

? : return bike at Blazing Saddles

8:00pm: Dinner at the Foreign Cinema

Wednesday

10:00 am: Cable Car Museum

(take the Powell/Hyde cable car to the Tower)

11:00 am: Coit Tower: Summit of Telegraph Hill Blvd--free guided tour

12:00 pm: Filbert Steps to top of Telegraph Hill

1:00: eat at Chestnut Diner

?: Exploratorium: 3601 Lyon Street—free- Palace of Fine Arts (same)-

? : Hyde Street Pier Historic Waterfront

3:12 pm: ride Muni bus #10 to Sausalito Ferry & take back to sf

6:00: Dinner at Il Pollaio

8:00: Beach Blanket Babylon

Thursday

10:15: Flight leaves to go home

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does this look feasible? Or should I cut/rearrange..?

Sounds like a work schedule to me, not a vacation. Way too much micro-managing. What happens if there is a traffic jam and you don't get to(for example)Sliders at 6:00 for dinner? Lets sat you get there at 6:30. Will you rush you dinner to make your 7:00 walking tour or will you miss it?

See what I mean? Things can and do go wrong. And with your precision schedule, you are just asking for something to go wrong. So, yes, cut/rearrange, and make sure each "activity" has a "plan B". Good Luck. Chuck...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does this look feasible? Or should I cut/rearrange..?

Reading your post, it seems to me that whatever you put your mind to would be feasible. Perpetual motion, time travel, power from nuclear fusion, world peace, negative sugar, anything ! Can I get you to organise my next trip ? Seems I missed so much.

Don't know if there's much point planning after your defenestration, is there ? Unless they give you a bungee cord...

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does this look feasible? Or should I cut/rearrange..?

I get the gist of your itinerary and think it's pretty good.

Couple of items:

Chestnut Diner? How did you come up with that place. Instead, head over to Chestnut and Fillmore and wander west and stop in wherever looks good. Tacolicious, Pacfiic Catch, Dragon Well, The Grove, Squat & Gobble are all possibilities and there are more as well.

There is a bit of a disconnect with this entry: "3:12 pm: ride Muni bus #10 to Sausalito Ferry & take back to sf" You haven't indicated how you are getting over to Sausalito nor do you have time if you are planning the Exploratorium AND the Maritime Pier in the afternoon. In fact, I think that's the only place you have overplanned -- it will be a squeeze to do both of those in the afternoon. The Exploratorium will take 3 hours easily. And the ships on the Maritime Pier close at either 4PM or 5PM. But you might be able to walk along the Pier and look at them.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,548 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does this look feasible? Or should I cut/rearrange..?

I looked over your schedule last night and I have to admit it also looked like my work calendar but more fun LOL Our SF Zoo would not be on the top or middle of my list of things to do in SF. well if you had kids, perhaps.

I always point to folks who ask us to plan their schedule and do no homework

So, I have to salute you for the detailed level of planning you have done.

Have a great time.

Caerwys, null...
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Does this look feasible? Or should I cut/rearrange..?

I have an itinerary to follow whilst I am in Los angeles, San Francisco and Las Vegas but I think you are over planning. You are less likely to enjoy it and more likely to stress out over time keeping. Plan what your going to do on a day to day basis, not hour to hour. You will enjoy yourself more.

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does this look feasible? Or should I cut/rearrange..?

Be aware that the "Defenestration Building" isn't nearly as colorful as a lot of photos make it out to be, and that if you were/are nervous about the location of Foreign Cinema, Sixth Street is going to send you for a loop. The Hugo Hotel was already vacant and deteriorating when Brian Goggin did his Defenestration installation in 1997, and the decay since then has added enough to the area's urban blight that the City actually made the building the target of the City's first eminent domain acquisition in some 25 years in 2010 (the City plans to tear the building down and build affordable housing on the site. Goggin originally stated that his plans were for Defenestration to die a natural death, although he's apparently experienced a more recent change of heart (or pocketbook), trying to find a purchaser). Try the references on the following Wikipedia entry for more on the blight aspect http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Hotel ).

All that aside, if you decide to visit the Hugo Hotel and it's Defenestration piece, you've got the relocated Dottie's True Blue Cafe two blocks (six if you want to count the alleyways as block demarcators) northwest at 6th Street and Stevenson for breakfast.

Edited: 04 June 2012, 17:20
--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does this look feasible? Or should I cut/rearrange..?

Also be aware that the free days at local museums and places like the Exploratorium have the reputations for being mob scenes. I this respect you'll actually be a bit better off during the summer where you'll mostly be joined by families trying to make their vacations a bit more affordable; sadly during the school year with the starkness of California school budgets and the sensitivity with asking parents/guardians for any kind of out-of-pocket cost like admissions fees the free days are one of the few ways that schools can take their students to such places.

For your walking tours is it safe to assume that you're perusing the City Guides extensive list of free (except for post-tour donation request) offerings http://www.sfcityguides.org/ ?

Great Falls, Montana
Level Contributor
212 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does this look feasible? Or should I cut/rearrange..?

Yes, Caffiend, I'm going with the city walking tours--except for my first night, where I'm just following a route from my "Best of San Fran" guide book. I think I will skip the defenestration building...it caught my imagination when I stumbled over it on the list of "things to do in San Fran" on tripadvisor; but I forgot about the advice I've read on here about staying away from 6th street in the Mission.

I also think, after reading yours and Sal's responses, that I will skip the Exploratorium . I think I mentioned that I must keep my expenses down on this trip, and when I saw that I would be there on the only day of the month when it's free, I just thought "I can't pass this up!"...but it wasn't even on my list until I saw the free day, so I can force myself to disengage and pull away, lol.

Great Falls, Montana
Level Contributor
212 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does this look feasible? Or should I cut/rearrange..?

Sal, I tried to edit my post after rereading it and noticing how I'd left out some things, but I took too long, lol.

What I mean to do is ride the Muni bus over the bridge, and all the way to the Sausalito ferry, which I will take back to SF. I really want to cross the bridge, but I don't want to bike or walk (it just sounds too crazy, and I'm not crazy about wind). I looked at a few tours that take you over the bridge, but they go lots of other places, and take 90-120 minutes...plus I'd rather spend my money on other things. I really want to experience going over the bridge, taking in the view...AND while I decided to skip Alcatraz (since I've been there), I liked the idea of getting a ferry ride across the bay.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Does this look feasible? Or should I cut/rearrange..?

Muni does not go to Sausalito.

The only day that a Muni bus goes over the bridge is on Sundays when the 76-Marin Headlands runs. But this doesn't go to Sausalito.

You can check Golden Gate Transit for bus routes to Sausalito: http://goldengatetransit.org/

There is a Hop On/Hop Off bus that goes to Sausalito. Some HOHO's have a fare that is good for 2 days.