We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parks close to San Francisco

Stamford...
Level Contributor
224 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Parks close to San Francisco

Can we do a day trip to a national park close to San Francisco? Do you recommend Redwood or Yosemite for 1 to 2 days?

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parks close to San Francisco

When are you going? Do you have a car?

Yosemite is a 4 hour drive from SF. Is that close?

Edited: 05 June 2012, 20:26
sf
Level Contributor
3,590 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Parks close to San Francisco

As Suzie said Yosemite is about 4hrs, Tahoe about the same, and Redwood about 5-6, none of them are very close. Its kind of a waste for a day trip, better as an over night, unless you want to rush up & back with a little time sightseeing. Also these times can change based on the time of year of your visit.

Edited: 05 June 2012, 20:42
Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parks close to San Francisco

I believe they are coming this July with 2 seniors and a young child.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parks close to San Francisco

Something else to consider with seniors and a little one, staying along the coast will be more comfortable temperature-wise. If you did drive or tour to Yosemite though, you'd zip through the valley with AC cranked up.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,002 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parks close to San Francisco

To a national park - not really day trips. Do able for an overnight though, as others have mentioned. However, there are plenty of state parks within a couple hours of SF, which would make great day trips or overnights.

To see redwoods, Muir Woods is the closest to SF. Big Basin, Henry Cowell, and Armstrong Redwoods are all within pretty easy day-trip distance.

sf
Level Contributor
3,590 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Parks close to San Francisco

Definitely agree with Moon, plenty of beautiful sites at California State Parks within a hour or 2 from SF, Ill add the redwoods along skyline blvd between Highway 92 and Highway 84.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parks close to San Francisco

I took a day trip today to Point Reyes. We started at 9:30, got back about 4:00.

Our stops were at the Muir Beach Overlook. In Olema for lunch. The Visitor Center and EQ Walk at Point Reyes. We headed out to the Point for a bit and U-turned before the lighthouse because it's closed Tues-Wed.

Figured I was driving 4+ hours. It was gorgeous and I loved it. But it was a lot of driving as much of it was windy roads. (Look at the map and you'll be surprised at how close Point Reyes looks to SF.)

I don't think people from the East Coast appreciate the distances in California.

8. Re: Parks close to San Francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 20:15