We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I want to do it all...can I (with MUNI and TA expert help)?

Brighton, Michigan
Level Contributor
633 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
I want to do it all...can I (with MUNI and TA expert help)?

Unfortunately, short time in the city. Hubby and I have been, first time for teen boys. Arrive on a Sat eve (so may have couple daylight hours to do something then), then all day Sunday (early fight Mon). Are staying @ Wharf Inn (Beach/Mason). Would like to bike bridge 8am & ferry back from Saulsilito. have night tour of Alcatraz @ 6:45, so figure about 4+? Hours left to see other things in between. here's what I'd LIKE to do (and realize I prob won't fit everything in, but thought someone may be able to suggest the best logistics): want to walk Chinatown, visit temple, see fortune cookie shop, sample food, etc., would like to ride cable car at least once, and visit cable car museum. Think visit to coit tower would be cool (maybe good to do Sat eve, along with Fisherman's Wharf sights -- would it be open?), Musee Mecanique sounds cool, and, the Ferry building. assume we should buy Muni 1 day pass (for all 4 of us, or just for adults?)

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I want to do it all...can I (with MUNI and TA expert help)?

Coit Tower closes at 5:30 during summer.

The wait for the cable cars can be very long at the turnarounds. You can usually walk up the line a few blocks and have a better chance of hopping on one (they do not go out full). However, later in the evening the crowds thin out a lot so you might consider holding the cable car ride until you return from Alcatraz. They run until after midnight so you'd have plenty of time.

Once in Chinatown you can walk up Washington Street to the cable car museum.

If you're not going any further than Chinatown and the cable car museum you can probably walk the entire thing. Muni Passports pay for themselves in convenience and speed of boarding.

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,193 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I want to do it all...can I (with MUNI and TA expert help)?

Coming from Santa Cruz and "assuming" you will drop off your car near the Wharf Inn, I suggest a scenic tour to get a flavor of The City!

http://tinyurl.com/SF-CROOKED-DRIVE

Travel on 280 (most scenic) to Cliff House, then tour through Golden Gate Park (Stow Lake area), head up California St to the Fairmont and of course down Lombard before reaching the Wharf Inn!

If you like this plan, then others can embellish what the best "tour" route might entail!

Enjoy!

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,972 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I want to do it all...can I (with MUNI and TA expert help)?

Your schedule is tight, but I think you can accomplish most of what you want.

You will be walking distance from Fisherman's Wharf, Musee Mecanique, Chinatown, Coit Tower, and the ferry to Alcatraz. You can pick and choose each destination based on how much time you have.

I recommend riding the cable car prior to 9 AM or after 8 PM. That way you can avoid long lines and crowded cars. You are staying near the terminus of the Powell/Mason line, but the Powell/Hyde line (going towards Fisherman's Wharf) has the best views.

If you need to cull your list to fit everything, I recommend skipping the Fisherman's Wharf area except to see Musee Mecanique and Ghirardelli Square. Also, while Coit Tower is nice, it isn't the only place with great views.

Waregem...
Level Contributor
142 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: I want to do it all...can I (with MUNI and TA expert help)?

picking up on the last comment: what is good place to view (photograph) the Telegraph Hill?

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
16,243 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I want to do it all...can I (with MUNI and TA expert help)?

You can photograph Coit Tower from North Beach (Washington Square has a particularly good view) or from the other side along the waterfront around Pier 23.

6. Re: I want to do it all...can I (with MUNI and TA expert help)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 05:41