We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route from Lake Tahoe to Yosemite avoiding Tioga Pass

Stamford...
Level Contributor
193 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Route from Lake Tahoe to Yosemite avoiding Tioga Pass

I posted in some forums earlier and looked at the youtube video of Tioga Pass. Cannot do mountainous, curvy drive.

Is there another way for me to go from Lake Tahoe or Mono Lakes to Yosemite by avoiding the Tioga Pass? How long would it take?

LA
Level Contributor
10,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Route from Lake Tahoe to Yosemite avoiding Tioga Pass

You aren't going to be able to access Yosemite from the east unless you do Tioga Pass.

The other Sierra passes, Sonora, Monitor (Ebbetts) also have steep and winding areas, but bring you out on the west side and you would have to backtrack to enter Yosemite from the west.

If you didn't like the Tioga video, you are going to hate Echo Summit (Highway 50) west out of the Lake Tahoe basin.

Your best bet might be to take Carson Pass (State route 88) south from Lake Tahoe and then hook up with Highway 49 to enter Yosemite from the west.

Edited: 21 June 2012, 16:54
Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route from Lake Tahoe to Yosemite avoiding Tioga Pass

All mountain & coastal roads are windy to some extent.

PS where you heading to Lassen from Tahoe? If so, take hwy 395 to hwy 44--straight. The road through the park is not.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,574 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route from Lake Tahoe to Yosemite avoiding Tioga Pass

Some of the roads leading into or out of Lake Tahoe are just as bad as the road over Tioga Pass. You might be better off avoiding the mountains entirely.

Essex
Level Contributor
284 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Route from Lake Tahoe to Yosemite avoiding Tioga Pass

Not keen on mountain passes but didn't find the tioga pass remotely worrying

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Route from Lake Tahoe to Yosemite avoiding Tioga Pass

Agree with Bolly22.... I'm not a big fan of curvy roads but I was not bothered much at all by Tioga Pass. Sonora Pass was a nail biter though!

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Route from Lake Tahoe to Yosemite avoiding Tioga Pass

I am not sure how you plan to get to Lake Tahoe without mountain driving? However, if you need to get to Yosemite from Lake Tahoe without scary mountain driving-- the best route would be to take Hwy 89 from Tahoe City to Truckee, I-80 to Sacramento, Hwy 99 south to Merced, and then Hwy 140 into Yosemite valley.

This is not the fastest, nor the most scenic, but if mountain driving is a fear, this is the best route for you.;

7. Re: Route from Lake Tahoe to Yosemite avoiding Tioga Pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2013, 05:16