We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned...Some advice for first timers--parking, etc.

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
80 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Just returned...Some advice for first timers--parking, etc.

Hi fellow travelers (and San Franciscan's),

We just returned last night form our wonderful 2 week trip to CA. We spent 3 (I wish more) days and nights in San Francisco. Here is a little advice I have for 1st timers:

Parking: DO NOT BRING YOUR CAR TO SAN FRANCISCO! Yes I am boldly telling you this. We drove our Lincoln Navigator with a Cargo Box on top of it to CA. I had no clue where we were going to park it in San Francisco. The garages did not have the clearance to fit our car. I was really stressed about this. We decided to park at the BART Millbrae lot and take the BART in. The best idea ever!! Not only cheap, but no stress either. It cost 8.50 round trip/person from this station to Powell St. Parking at the BART was free during the weekend and only $6 a day during the week--for long term parking. It was going to cost me $70/night for oversized parking downtown.

Public Transportation: The best around that I have experienced. Cable cars, street cars, buses. If we were unsure about what bus to take, we asked the driver and each one went out of his or her way to get us going on the right bus or in the right direction.

Cable Cars: FUN, FUN, FUN!! But, be prepared to wait. The wait in the afternoon for the Powell/Hyde was 2 hours. We caught the Powell/Mason right outside our hotel at 7 am with no one on it. ADVICE--if you want to lines for the cable car go very early.

Hotel: We stayed at the Marriott Union Square. We have a large family and got 2 rooms. Worked out pretty good (not adjoining rooms). I thought Union square was a perfect place to stay. We were steps from the cable car line, Chinatown, great food, BART, F Line street car.

Alcatraz--BOOK EARLY and make sure you use the audio guide. This is a must do!

Most restaurants we found did not open before 8 am--esp near Pier 33 (Alcatraz Boat). So, plan for that if you have an early reservation for Alcatraz.

Be ready for the unexpected--we ran into (Literally) the World's Naked Bike ride on Lombard Street. With 5 kids aged 7-13, we had a lot of questions and them covering their eyes! All I could do was laugh and wait for it to be over. Memories!

Ask people if you have questions. The people of San Francisco were some of the most friendly people I have ever come across.

Can't wait to return one day soon!

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,338 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just returned...Some advice for first timers--parking, etc.

Thanks for your " handy hints" ckmommy.

A lot of this is what we tell people every day but it's great to get the info from someone who has just experienced it for themselves and this is great for future travellers.

Love the bike ride story____as you say, memories___part of your trip you will never forget.

Thanks for sharing.

Edited: 22 June 2012, 05:04
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,548 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just returned...Some advice for first timers--parking, etc.

Echo Oskar's comments Ckmommy.

When we tell others they think we are making it all up -- it helps when visitors tell others the same thing...

Come back and see us soon.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just returned...Some advice for first timers--parking, etc.

Yep ... what Oskar and belo said.

Come back soon!

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,063 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just returned...Some advice for first timers--parking, etc.

Yep! Never a dull day in the city of San Francisco, haha.

Manalapan, New...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just returned...Some advice for first timers--parking, etc.

thanks for the info ...we are thinking about an august trip for our family of 5 and it sounds like this will be our destination!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,548 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just returned...Some advice for first timers--parking, etc.

I have a confession to make. I was not among those bikers that the OP saw on that day in our city.

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just returned...Some advice for first timers--parking, etc.

URGENT when is the next bike ride?

Will Sal be there?

Thank You

Texas
Level Contributor
226 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just returned...Some advice for first timers--parking, etc.

Thanks for sharing! It will be helpful for our SF strip next month.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,698 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just returned...Some advice for first timers--parking, etc.

Every year that bike ride comes up, I've got a friend in England who posts on Facebook with his comment, "Only in Brighton!" - and what most people don't realize is that it's an international thing - there's a website out there somewhere. So it's multiple cities in multiple countries.

As for the cable cars - remember our advice here on the forum - you don't have to wait in that long line at the turn-arounds. You can get on at any stop if there is room. The cars leave half-full so that they will have some room. (That said, you still might not be able to get everyone in your party on board at the same time - but worth a shot if you don't want to wait in that long line. 2 Hours? That's even tough for a Disney ride.

10. Re: Just returned...Some advice for first timers--parking, etc.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2013, 05:41