We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with 8 day trip in August

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stamford...
Level Contributor
189 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help with 8 day trip in August

Arriving in San Francisco in mid August- party of 5. 2 adults, 2 senior citizens and 1 child.

Day 1 - Arrive in SFO.

Day 2: Fishermans Wharf, Union square, cable car, relax

Day 3: Pick up rental car and head towards Marshall Gold discovery SHP. Eat lunch and continue to Lake Tahoe and do the LAke Tahoe Gondola. Stay overnight in Lake Tahoe.

Question: How far is Marshall Gold Discovery park from San Francisco and then Lake Tahoe from SHP? What is the best route or highway to take?

Day 4: Leave Lake Tahoe onwards to Mono Lake. Lunch and sighseeing in Mono Lake.

Drive over Tioga Pass to Yosemite.

Question: Again drive times and routes to take here?

Is it a lot to pack in and should we skip some?

We probably will not get a lodigng in Yosemite PArk so plan to stay pretty close.

Day 5: Yosemite National park sightseeing

Day 6: Leave for Carmel via San Juan Bautista. Do the 17 mile drive. Stay at Montery

Question: How far from Yosemite is San Juan Bautista and then Carmel and Montery. What can I do in San Juan Bautista?

Day 7: Should I spend this extra day in Montery or should I head back to SFO. Can I head back to SFO through the Redwoods tree forest?

Please please would appreciate your inputs on the itinery, if it makes sense, driving times and distances and if these things are on the way. My 5 year old gets car sick so dont want to torture him with more than 2 to 3 hours of driving a day.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,085 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with 8 day trip in August

This is a lot of driving - much more than your desired 2-3 hours per day. Check out Google Maps maps.google.com (or Mapquest or Yahoo maps). Plug in your destinations and get an estimate of the time between locations.

SF to South Lake Tahoe is 3.5 hours without traffic or detours. Yosemite to Carmel is 4 hours or so.

For Yosemite, get your reservations ASAP. Availability of lodging might dictate the rest of your itinerary.

If this was my trip, in 7 days I would do no more than SF, Yosemite OR Lake Tahoe, and the Monterey area. All 4 locations is just too rushed IMO, esspecially with a small child. Add car sickness to the equation and it is definitely too much.

Stamford...
Level Contributor
189 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with 8 day trip in August

How do you suggest I drop Lake Tahoe? Can I go to Yosemite without doing Lake Tahoe or Lake Mono? I though they were on the way. Thank you

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with 8 day trip in August

With a week and a small child I would go to Monterey and Yosemite and cut out the rest. By which I mean Yosemite Valley .... don't try to get over to the east side. (I used to get car sick too ... I would try to keep the mountain driving to an absolute minimum.)

The itinerary you have now has you driving a fair amount on over half your days.

Edited: 26 June 2012, 21:36
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,085 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with 8 day trip in August

"Can I go to Yosemite without doing Lake Tahoe or Lake Mono? I though they were on the way."

This is where the map comes in. You can't plan this trip without looking at one. You can approach Yosemite from the west, south, or east. SF to Yosemite Valley is about a 4 hour drive and you would approach from the west, not the east.

Stamford...
Level Contributor
189 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with 8 day trip in August

What is Yosemite valley called? Is it different from the national park in the mountains?

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,085 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with 8 day trip in August

Yosemite Valley is part of Yosemite national park. It is where the majority of the lodging and faciilities are located as well as the highest concentration of Yosemite's famous features are located - Half Dome, Yosemite Falls, El Capitan, etc.

If you look at a map of Yosemite, it is where Hwys 120, 140 and 41 intersect.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with 8 day trip in August

dimpsalaska, have you studied any maps? I saw on your other post that you did not know where Lee Vining was, yet your proposed trip passed right through it.

If you approach Yosemite through the West you'll have a fairly straight, boring drive, until you reach the foothills! Without a reservation, staying fairly close to the park means an hour to two hours distance. Out and back, that will be 4 hours of windy driving. Check out the Yosemite forum--lots of really good info.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with 8 day trip in August

This is a great book with beautiful photos, trail maps, info on each of Yosemite's areas:

http://www.amazon.com/Yosemite-Complete-Guide-National-Park/dp/098251722X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340755643&sr=8-1&keywords=yosemite+the+complete+guide

You'll have to cut & paste that. Sorry.

Edited: 27 June 2012, 01:08
Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with 8 day trip in August

If your son get car sick & more than 2-3 hours of driving is torture, I don't see how this itinerary is fun or doable.

3-4 days SF

1 day Muir Woods

2 days Monterey/Santa Cruz (aquarium & Roaring Camp Railroads, if your son likes trains +Henry Cowell Redwoods SP right across the tracks)

1 day Sonoma(Train Town) or Napa

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,042 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with 8 day trip in August

Here is a map: http://goo.gl/maps/P8GR San Francisco to Yosemite Valley to Monterey to SFO. Yosemite Valley is 7 square miles in the 1200 square mile National Park.

For lodging ideas in Yosemite, ask on the Yosemite NP forum page. We tried to help you on your Yosemite thread, but you did not participate in the conversation so the thread ended. Please reply to that thread and tell us more. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g61000-i315-k55216…

This forum is all about San Francisco.