We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SF marathon

Dillon, Montana
Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
SF marathon

We are running in the SF marathon. We would like a hotel close to the start. Any suggestions for a nice but not super expensive hotel that is walking distance to the start of the marathon? Thanks.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SF marathon

That's great-- it's such a fun race! The marathon start line is near the Ferry Building and there are a couple hotels in that immediate area: Hyatt Regency and Hotel Vitale. I'm sure others will chime in with more options, especially if you're more specific on your price range.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SF marathon

Also Marriott. Have you checked availablity yet. The Hyatt & Vitale are right at the start. They jack up rates though. There are a lot of options within a mile radius--a nice warm-up.

Dillon, Montana
Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SF marathon

Thanks. Please tell me within a mile radius. I'm not really sure about my price range...can we find a safe, clean spot between $100-$150??

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
15,477 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SF marathon

Most hotels at Union Square will be within a mile of the start line (you'd have to walk or taxi to the start line). Grand Hyatt, Campton Place, Marriott Union Square, Westin St. Francis, Sir Francis Drake.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SF marathon

Was just browsing around and noticed Harbor Court, which is also very close to the Ferry Building. I don't know much about it, but reviews are positive.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60713-d81022-R…

And I remember another person was on here recently debating between the Hyatt Regency and Club Quarters, which is cheaper. It's also nearby.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60713-d268240-…

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SF marathon

The Griffon Hotel is also in that area ... just a couple of doors away from the Harbor Court. But I doubt seriously that they'll be in your price range, especially that weekend.

Try the Grant, Baldwin, Park and Cornel de France. They're all around Union Square.

Keep in mind that hotel tax in SF is 15%.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SF marathon

I almost certain the Harbor Court was booked out for this date months ago. It doesn't hurt to check though! I checked it a while ago.

Did you check out these: thesfmarathon.com/visiting-san-francisco/…

The start is at Embarcadero & Mason. On this site you can put in an address and a radius and it will list all hotels within your specs.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SF marathon

I tried to provide a link, but that didn't work. Use the Ferry Building as an address close to the start. TripAdvisor will list the hotels and their distance away starting with the closest.

Edited: 27 June 2012, 19:30
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SF marathon

<<The start is at Embarcadero & Mason>>

Do you mean Embarcadero & Mission? (Embarcadero and Mason do not meet.)

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SF marathon

Thanks Sal.