We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite one day trip

Saint Louis
Level Contributor
302 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Yosemite one day trip

We will be in San Francisco at the end of July and only have time to do a one day trip to Yosemite. I know it is not the best way to see it, but aa I am older and may not be in the area again so I would rather experience it if only for a short time than never have seen it at all. I am looking at 2 different trips. One is with San Francisco Shuttle tours where they take you to Yosemite by train and then a shuttle bus home on the return. The other is with Extranomical who has been highly rated here on TA and they do a shuttle both ways. The train ride appeals to us more, but is San Francisco Shuttle reputable and is this tour done well? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Dylan's Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Bike Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Vantigo Tours
City Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Urban Trek USA
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Painted Ladies Tour Company
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , City Tours, Private Tours
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
53,616 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yosemite one day trip

Here is a link to reviews of the tours. That I think would be your best bet

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60713-d61…

Personally I would rather do a bus roundtrip instead of the train for a short part of the trip - you are getting a very short time in Yosemite so I would just take the guided Bus tour. Trains are in every part of the country and nothing special about the train ride here

The other bus company is Incredible Adventures

Edited: 30 June 2012, 17:30
Saint Louis
Level Contributor
302 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yosemite one day trip

Thanks for your input. Based on that I decided to book with Incredible Adventures after reading about them. So appreciate it.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,528 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yosemite one day trip

If you were taking a train ride of the quality of the California coast or over the Sierra Nevada, I'd say to do it, but the train ride to where you start the shuttle bus is not especially inspiring. You won't see too much that is uniquely different from what the bus ride will show you.

Belomiser is right that you should just take the bus direct and give yourself as much time as possible in the park.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
17,689 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yosemite one day trip

I think the train may also be more subject to delays, so the bus gives your tour operator more control over your time.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
63,571 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yosemite one day trip

>> they take you to Yosemite by train <<

The final leg of any train trip to Yosemite is in a big YARTS bus from Merced (2 hours.) Amtrak does not go all the way to Yosemite NP.

Joey965 ~ if you have any questions about how to spend your time in Yosemite, please visit us on the Yosemite forum. I hope your quick visit is marvelous and that Incredible Adventures works out well!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yosemite one day trip

I hope I got to you in time. DO NOT TAKE THE SAN FRAN SHUTTLE TOUR VIA TRAIN!!!!!!

We just got back and let me sum it up this way....it was a 20 hour day for 4 hours in Yosemite. Our bus broke down, which added 4 hours. Even when it all goes well, it is way too long on shuttles to the train, train rides, more shuttles that have frequent stops. Then our 2.5 hours of free time that the website advertises was actually 1 hour before our tour (eat/bathroom), and 1 hour after the tour before we had to get back on the bus. Trust me, it was absolutely horrible.

i have it in dispute with my credit card and have had to fight for a small refund.

HORRIBLE...HORRIBLE...HORRIBLE!!!!!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yosemite one day trip

Phillyfan's experience is why I think it's far better to rent a car and drive yourself. You have control over your situation, and it's much faster, which means more time in the park.

8. Re: Yosemite one day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2013, 10:16