We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Micro Brewery / Pub recommendations please

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Micro Brewery / Pub recommendations please

Hi

Visiting California for 2 or 3 weeks, from UK, with my wife for our 25th Wedding Anniversary.

The plan is to spend a week in the SF & wine country area, then drive south, taking in the coast and Yosemite etc.

We both love a glass , or 2, of wine or local beer.

Because I'm going to be doing all the driving, I wont be drinking during the day. But I'd like to end each day (where possible) with a visit to a micro brewery, or beer focused pub. Preferably ones that serve meals and definitely ones that have a hotel or guest house nearby.

Does anyone have recommendations, or know of any good websites (other than TA of course) that can help us plan the trip and book accommodation near some good watering holes.

Thanks in advance.

And Cheers!

sf
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Micro Brewery / Pub recommendations please

First of all, specifically where will you be travelling, and or staying "Travelling down the coast" is a bit too vague, and Calif is quite large. Once you define it better I can give you some recommendations. In SF favorites are Magnolia & 21st Amendament.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,548 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Micro Brewery / Pub recommendations please

You won't need a car in SF and with MUNI you can get around and there are plenty of Bars and breweries you can go to. SFnativ has some excellent suggestions. If you go to Ocean beach, there is Beach Chalet and in the Mission there is Southern Pacific Brewing.

If you are going to Napa or Sonoma, there are plenty of wineries and tasting rooms for wine.

Also in SF is our local Anchor Brewing company tour

http://www.anchorbrewing.com/brewery/tours

UK
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Micro Brewery / Pub recommendations please

Hi again.

Where i go and the route i take will largely be determined by recommendations for micro breweries. I have 2 weeks after SF to check out some of the rest of the state. We dont want to just tick off the tourist areas, but would like to get a feel for off the tourist track. I guess i thought i could mark the best of the breweries on a map and plan a route that takes in those with some must do places.

LA and LV are not really our thing so prob wont make the list.

Hope that helps a bit :)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,548 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Micro Brewery / Pub recommendations please

I like your style ManncubDad aka Mr Kipling LOL

beer100.com/brewpubs_a_to_k/california.htm

has a list of all the brewpubs around the state. There are chains such as BJs and a few more like Karl Strauss that I would not put on the top of my list. The area that i have found having a large concentration of breweries is the San Diego area. Check with @Goodbeer (there are two folks with beer in their handle so make sure it is Goodbeer and not the other kind who knows his brews imho and he can recommend some in the San Digo Forum)

Having said that if you drive along Hwy 1 from SF to San Diego, you could hit a few breweries enroute but that drive from Monterey to SB is really gorgeous and I presume you will also do wine tasting -- Paso Robles and Santa Ynez are great wine producing regions as you drive South.

Good luck -- You should also post in the California forum for ideas but it is a chicken and an egg - you can look at the list above find areas to visit and read reviews on www.yelp.com and decide. LV is not in our state so no worries about getting recommendations about that city on the CA forum

Edited: 02 July 2012, 20:00
sf
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Micro Brewery / Pub recommendations please

We'll heading out of SF South on Highway 1, you can hit Half Moon Bay Brewing( about 45 -60 minutes), then Seabright in Santa Cruz.

Going North of SF: Ross Brewing in Fairfax, Broken Drum in San Rafael, tehn up to Lagunitas in Petaluma, then Russian River Brewing in Santa Rosa. If heasing to Lake Tahoe, stop in at the Auburn Alehouse, in Auburn. Her'sa list that is a bit old but will give you a head start.

beer100.com/brewpubs_a_to_k/california.htm

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Micro Brewery / Pub recommendations please

Speakeasy brewery in San Francisco is open to the public every Friday and Saturday 4pm-9pm.

They have 6-8 different micro-brews on tap for $3/cup. Sometimes they will offer something limited (and usually strong) that is not available at the stores. If you ask, you can get a tour of the brewing process. If you are hungry there is a local Mexican restaurant that sells tamales. Sometimes there will be a food truck in the parking lot.

Very casual atmosphere and a mixed crowd ranging from people in business suits just getting off work to punk rockers.

It's in the industrial part of town and,while public transportation is available, it would be recommended to drive there.

1195 Evans east of 3rd Street

http://goodbeer.com

UK
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Micro Brewery / Pub recommendations please

Cheers! for all the replies and links.

I also just found this one

craftbeer.com/pages/…find-a-us-brewery

next step - find a suitable map to print out

and start marking on it those breweries which have accommodation nearby.

Hebden Bridge...
Level Contributor
148 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Micro Brewery / Pub recommendations please

In San Francisco we went to the Thirsty Bear Brewing Company. This is an Organic micro brewery located on Howard Street.

http://www.thirstybear.com/

It had a nice choice of beers (had run out of IPA it was that good!), a great cocktail called Sand in My Toes, and what looked like fab tapas.

It was quite busy for a monday night, but the SF Giants were playing as it's not far from AT&T park.

We really liked it and was disappointed that we only went to it on our last day, having seen it as we drove into SF 4 days previously!

UK
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Micro Brewery / Pub recommendations please

Real beer and tapas !? Heaven !!!!!!!!!!

thanks for that one Hed

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Micro Brewery / Pub recommendations please

Fat Angel

1740 O'Farrell St. at Fillmore

www.beermenus.com/places/1571-fat-angel