We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LIghthouses in downtown San Fran

Florida
Level Contributor
220 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
LIghthouses in downtown San Fran

Hello! we recently visited San Fran and also tried to see as many lighthouses as possible - Alcatraz, Fort Point. We 2 small lighthouses in downtown San Fran (one seems to be covered with stones and the other one it was a small white/black one. (I have pics if someone assists me on how to include on this question).

Anyhow, does anyone seem to know names of the 2 small lighthouses in wharf/downtown area of San Fran?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,047 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LIghthouses in downtown San Fran

This might help: www.rudyalicelighthouse.net/CalLts/sfbay.htm

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LIghthouses in downtown San Fran

I wouldn't call Fort Point's a lighthouse in the sense that most think ... it's a light tower atop the Fort.

The link from sfi doesn't indicate any in downtown. If you can upload your photos to Flicker or similar we could take a look. Could one have been Forbes Island near Fisherman's Wharf?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,497 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LIghthouses in downtown San Fran

Why would there be a lighthouse in downtown SF? Aren't lighthouses supposed to be near the water?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,047 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LIghthouses in downtown San Fran

Maybe he's thinking Bay side like at Embarcadero, but nothing comes to mind over there. Financial District is nearby and that sort of bleeds into downtown.

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LIghthouses in downtown San Fran

There's one at the corner of Van Ness and Lech Walesa (aka "the 100 meter urinal") half a block south of City Hall:

lighthouse-sf.org/wp-site/…214building.jpg

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,497 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LIghthouses in downtown San Fran

Caffiend - That made my day and brings me back to when I worked at the CSAA office which backed onto Lech Walesa alley

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LIghthouses in downtown San Fran

So we have the 100 Meter Urinal and now the Four Million Dollar Urinal.....

sfgate.com/bayarea/article/16th-Street-BART-…

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: LIghthouses in downtown San Fran

My wife likes lighthouses so I'm a little familiar with part of what you are asking.

The stone structure is in the Marina in the parking lot near the Yacht Club. It is not a true lighthouse built and operated by the federal government. Instead it was built by the city of San Francisco to look like a lighthouse. Others may know it by a specific name but I've only ever heard it referred to as the stone lighthouse.

Off hand I cannot think what other structure you saw. If I get an idea I'll post back.

Florida
Level Contributor
220 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: LIghthouses in downtown San Fran

Yes, one was a stone structure! Thanks to all!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: LIghthouses in downtown San Fran

I guess the other one is Forbes Island.

sfgate.com/restaurants/article/Forbes-Island…