We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Reports -- Please Link Them Here!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Reports -- Please Link Them Here!

Hi All

This thread will be made a "sticky" to stay at the top of the Forum.

For travelers to San Francisco:

When you write your Trip Report please do so in a new thread and then a link to that thread can be added as a post to this thread.

We love trip reports and they are very helpful to future visitors.

For an example, see how the London forum operates: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g186338-i17-London…

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
236 replies to this topic
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Reply
131. Re: Trip Reports -- Please Link Them Here!

Here's my trip report

July 2014 - 2 Parents and a 13 year old

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k776899…

Ventnor City, New...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando
Level Contributor
4,465 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
132. Re: Trip Reports -- Please Link Them Here!

"62 hours in the San Francisco area" ....

(husband and wife mid-40s, 14 year old boy and almost12 year old girl, from the east coast, first part of an 11-day/10-night coastal California road trip)

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k777033…

Edited: 01 September 2014, 22:14
Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
California
California
United States
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
133. Re: Trip Reports -- Please Link Them Here!

3 days in SF area..husband, wife and 4.2 year old girl.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k778441…

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,436 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
134. Re: Trip Reports -- Please Link Them Here!

Here's us, two gay forty-somethings. Loving San Francisco and promising ourselves we'll be back soon.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k7810…

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
135. Re: Trip Reports -- Please Link Them Here!

Trip report September 2014

Our Anniversary trip was wonderful!

Day 1 - Arrived SFO before noon, took BART to Powell St and checked into Hotel Rex. Took the N train out to Ocean beach for a short stroll before going to the Beach Chalet for a beer and a quick bite. Waiter was quite helpful, offering restaurant suggestion near our hotel as well as advising we take bus to Stanyan to explore Haight versus getting back on the N train. We walked around Haight, was hoping to get souvenirs for my daughters but guess I wasn't in shopping mood. Interesting neighborhood, brought me back to my deadhead days. Headed back to the hotel to get ready for dinner. Walker along the Embarcadero to Waterbar for dinner. Had to wait past our reservation time but enjoyed a drink while waiting. Dinner was good, loved theh softshell crab as an appetizer. We walked back to hotel taking a different route, near bus terminals. Felt perfectly safe.

Day 2 - Walked to the Ferry Building for some breakfast. Delightful vendors, we ate and I also picked up some chocolate from Ricchiuto - yummy! We walked north on the Embarcadero before cutting across to walk up the Filbert steps. Sweaty but beautiful walk! We went into Coit tower and took the elevator up. It wasn't a long wait and was really worth it for the great views. We then walked towards North Beach and came upon an Italian festival, just our thing. We looked around their Athletic club, they had Italian dancing, Italian singers and displayed some Italian police uniforms. We were not hungry yet so did not indulge. Next stop was a beer at Vesuvio - cool old bar. Since we still had a lot of time we decided to shop over at Union Square. Checked out the Levi store, mall, and my usual New York haunt Macys. Again not really in shopping mood so we had lunch at Burger Bar. Best part was the BEER float (porter and coffee ice cream)! Returned to the hotel stuffed and relaxed while trying to tell ourselves we could eat dinner. Took a cab to Frascati, looked down Lombard Street before getting seated. Had a lovely meal, I must commend the Manager(?), he was helpful, attentive and even went out to hail a cab home for us!

Day 3 - Went to Yank Sing Rincon Center for Dim sum at 10am. We didn't have a reservation but they seated us anyway. Just as recommended - delicious. Walked south on Embarcadero to AT &T park to attend the Giants/Dodgers game. Had a great time although the Giants lost. Walked back to hotel via 3rd street. had dinner at Fino, just around the corner from hotel. Waiter was great, we evjoyed a bottle of wine, appetizers, entrees, tiramisu and cappuccinos.

Day 4 - Oh No - woke up with severe gastro illness, must have gotten a bad clam or mussel from our fun dinner previous:( DH went to drugstore and that enabled me to leave. The hotel room but cramps dampened our visit to Alcatraz and visiting the sea lions. Had to cancel our afternoon/evening plans for visiting the Mission and dinner at LOLO. A disappointment but overAll we had a wonderful visit to this beautiful city!

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Rex San Francisco
Hotel Rex San Francisco
1,756 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
The Embarcadero
The Embarcadero
834 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Waterbar
Waterbar
1,237 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Coit Tower
Coit Tower
3,992 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
North Beach
North Beach
262 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Union Square
Union Square
1,857 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Burger Bar
Burger Bar
775 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Frascati
Frascati
549 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Lombard Street
Lombard Street
14,028 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Yank Sing
Yank Sing
763 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Lolo
Lolo
179 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
London, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
136. Re: Trip Reports -- Please Link Them Here!

My Trip Report from my Honeymoon roadtrip

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k7842…

New Albany, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,559 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
137. Re: Trip Reports -- Please Link Them Here!

4 days September 24-28, 2014

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k784355…

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
63 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
138. Re: Trip Reports -- Please Link Them Here!

2 days trip tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k786820…

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
758 reviews
Save Reply
139. Re: Trip Reports -- Please Link Them Here!

September 2014 in San Francisco

This was a family vacation! DH, son and I flew in from Denver @ the same time daughter and SIL flew in from Seattle. When all 5 adults had their luggage, I called PLEASANT LIMO for pickup.This was arranged a few days beforehand & our drive in to the city (Carl & Stanyan) was flawless. Cost: $75 +$15 gratuity added in. Bolor, the owner, was our driver. Do use Pleasant Limo.

Please note that restaurants and attractions have been reviewed on TA with extensive comments on what we ate.

I am type A and a planner. Ditto for my daughter. However, on this respite neither of us really had an agenda. We all decided to “go with the flow” and enjoy each other and the city,having been to SF before.

Found our ap’t (3BR) on Homeaway.com & booked it on come2sf.com. The office was efficient & helpful. And all 5 of us were glad to be based in Cole Valley…..a real neighborhood.

By mid afternoon we all walked the Haight to stretch our legs……walking past Buena Vista Park then up to Alamo Square. Around Divisadero we stopped at the VINYL CAFÉ & WINE BAR *** for wine/lattes /bagel & cream cheese: a pleasant intermission. Then the young folks went there way and DH and I started back to Carl, stopping at the Haight St. Market & Whole Foods.

Saturday evening around 7:30 PM we all agreed to try BANGKOK 900 **** a block away at Stanyan and Frederick. We ordered @least 7 dishes, 3 Singha’s,2 wines. Quite yummy. Strictly n’hood……lots of take-out. Cloth napkins. The bill w/tip was $110. No complaints.

On Sunday 9/14 son decided to stay in and watch football. SIL had work work to do. So daughter,hubby &I started out for a walk in the Mission District. By the time we got to 17th St. & Uranus,hubby & I bailed out. We knew the walk would be too much for my knees, with a second total knee replacement scheduled for Oct.23rd. Daughter continued on…….the 2 of us headed back to Carl and Cole and took the N-Judah to the last stop. Ocean Beach beckoned. Relaxed there awhile, took the N-Judah back to 9th Avenue & stopped at ARIZMENDI BAKERY***** for a pick me up. Their pizza IS amazing. This day it was spinach,roasted garlic cloves and feta. The 2 slices & a lge coffee set us back $7.50 for a delicious snack. Remember Arizmendi in your travels. There are other locations.

Markets & bakeries @9th and Irving are SO reasonable and 2 blocks were cordoned off for INNER SUNSET Sundays. What a wonderful n’hood vibe.

We then walked to GOLDEN GATE PARK and caught the GG Band performing! By the time we got to the DeYoung Museum we decided to people watch instead.Now I am sorry we didn’t go in. Lots of families & couples enjoying the day and artists displaying their works. The weather was gorgeous. The walk back to Carl & Stanyan was delightful.

Comment: People here are friendly. Those getting off the N Judah THANKED THE DRIVER!!! You surely would not find THAT in NYC!

Lucky for us, the 3 “kids” were hungry after walking M I L E S. They made an early reservation at PADRECITO *** @901 Cole. We were seated upstairs…it was LOUD, but this place is certainly a “gold mine”. The bill was $201, before tip. There were many drinks, 2 apps, 6 taco plates,chips,salsa guac. Personally, not enough “bang for my buck”…..but SIL picked up the tab.

Monday 9/15/14 was cloudy in the AM, but turned out to be a GORGEOUS day. We all got on the N-Judah at the same time, but the younger group disembarked at Powell for Union Square DH and I went further to check out the FERRY BUILDING MARKETPLACE.**** We enjoyed wandering and I am still sorry I didn’t purchase a bottle of lemon olive oil at California Stonehouse Olive Oil. One of these days I shall order it online. We stopped at IL CANE ROSSO**** for soup & ½ sandwich (terrific) & then hopped on the F until just past the Wharf & then walked around MARITIME HISTORIC PARK**** & observed the resident harbor seals,walked some more & then relaxed on a bench. After a while we found our way to Columbus Avenue & walked to WASHINGTON SQUARE PARK.There’s a good vibe here: the Church is impressivwe,locals waiting for their public transportation or walking their dogs & others watching the world go by. K,D,D found us in the park then went off to a bar, before we all headed over to NORTH BEACH RESTAURANT **** a block away at 1512 Stockton. The guy sitting next to me on the plane recommended this place, and I really thought we’d go to Sotto Mare, but K&D(two vegans) chose this after looking at the menus. We had an enjoyable experience and certainly Manuel, our waiter, was a hoot: a real old-timer. Son’s saltimbocca was INCREDIBLE and tiramisu was delish, but the portion was tiny…..& the cost for this dessert was $11.00. Thank goodness, our son picked up the tab: $475 plus $100 tip. Pricey, don’t you think??????????????? K,D,D weren’t finished. They proceeded to go to the Top of the Mark, while the old folks picked up the N-Judah at Powell.

Tuesday @ 9AM, three of us cabbed it over to the Honda facility at 10 south Van Ness to pick up a rental car at Hertz, arranged thru AAA in Boulder. We had cancelled a van for a full size car and got a Chevy Malibu…..not really a full size car, but we managed. I sat on the hump in the back! A house rental in Mill Valley was our base for the next 5 nights and I got high 5’s from the crew for this find. It’s on homeaway.com(#903775): 3 BRS, 2 baths, a HUGE deck & views of the bay. We felt at home from the first moment. The owner lives here when it isn’t occupied by renters, so everything is at your fingertips. After leaving my SS check at Safeway and Whole Foods, we arrived at MUIR WOODS***** after 4 PM & there were hardly any people & it was quiet & serene. Thoroughly worth our time! We had dinner at the house & enjoyed our “digs”. The big problem with this place: you do not want to leave!!!!!!. It was another gorgeous day.

Wednesday 9/17 was SONOMA DAY. Our first stop was RIDGE VINEYARDS(they have a lovely wine tasting area) and then we stopped at BRAVAS**** in Healdsburg for tapas. My Maitake mushroom plate was outstanding. On the way back to Mill Valley we stopped for a tasting at GUNDLACH BUNDSHU. Many of the servers here are retired folks & they are enthusiastic & having a ball.

Thursday had me calling Plate pass to make a one time payment for our trip back over the GG to SFO on Sunday & then we all went to POINT REYES. We stopped at the Beaver Creek Visitor Center & then drove to the LIGHTHOUSE. This was voted our underwhelming activity for the week! I know we are missing something.

When we returned to “Mary’s Place” the 2 vegans decided to go to LUNA BLEU in Tiburon & our son grilled THE most delicious melt in your mouth steaks w/ veggies., & opened a bottle of Chateau St. Jean Cabernet.The meat came from Whole Foods & was one of our top meals of the week. OMG!! K&D said Luna Bleu was quite good.

On Friday K,D,D explored NAPA & stopped at SAM’S in Tiburon before returning home. For hubby and myself, this was a day to catch up with friends. Those from Corte Madera took us to NEW MORNING CAFÉ***** for breakfast in Tiburon & our Mill Valley friends took us to VASCO**** for dinner. The time we spent with both was too short but it’s always terrific to continue where you left off. Longtime friends are cherished.

We drove daughter and SIL to Sausalito Saturday AM & they took the ferry in to the city.We then spent some additional time wandering Tiburon: the views and lack of visitors roaming makes it especially desirable.

Our “last supper” was THE BEST restaurant meal of the week: CAPRICE ***** in Tiburon. You can’t beat the views, ambiance, noise level(low),the food & the portions.Superb! My credit card was billed $460 including tip. Probably $170 of that was alcohol. The rack of lamb,filet mignon,crème brulee & peach cobbler:extraordinary.

We all agreed that San Francisco and environs met our expectations. It’s a terrific city: YOU LUCKY “DUCKS”.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Carl Hotel
Carl Hotel
57 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Buena Vista Park
Buena Vista Park
67 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Alamo Square
Alamo Square
1,186 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Mission District
Mission District
451 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Golden Gate Park
Golden Gate Park
8,481 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Union Square
Union Square
1,857 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Ferry Building Marketplace
Ferry Building...
6,151 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
California
California
United States
The Wharf Inn
The Wharf Inn
932 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Columbus Avenue
Columbus Avenue
37 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Washington Square
Washington Square
116 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Stockton
Stockton
California
Boulder
Boulder
Colorado
Malibu
Malibu
California
Mill Valley
Mill Valley
Marin County, CA
Sonoma
Sonoma
Sonoma County, CA
Bravas
Bravas
606 Reviews
Healdsburg, CA
Healdsburg
Healdsburg
Sonoma County, CA
La Luna Inn
La Luna Inn
703 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Chateau St. Jean
Chateau St. Jean
329 Reviews
Kenwood, CA
Napa
Napa
Napa Valley, CA
Sam's Diner
Sam's Diner
536 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Madera
Madera
195 Reviews
Menlo Park, CA
Sausalito
Sausalito
Marin County, CA
Ottawa
Level Contributor
14 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
140. Re: Trip Reports -- Please Link Them Here!

Trip Report for Oct. 4th - Oct. 11th, 2013

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k7879610…

Reply to: Trip Reports -- Please Link Them Here!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted