We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Muir Woods to Sonoma/Benzinger Winery -- Best Route?

Dublin, OH
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Muir Woods to Sonoma/Benzinger Winery -- Best Route?

We're planning to do a combination day trip to Muir Woods and then on to Sonoma to Benzinger Winery in Glen Ellen. Mapquest gives me two different routes. Does anyone know the quickest and most scenic route. Also, is there anywhere between Muir Woods and Glen Ellen to stop for lunch? We'll have our 2 teens with us and will be in casual clothing so anything casual or a picnic type place would be great. Thanks!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Muir Woods to Sonoma/Benzinger Winery -- Best Route?

I'm surprised you got two routes.

101N->37->121->116

It's only about an hour drive. Since you should get to Muir early to avoid the crowds, I'd suggest having lunch in Sonoma.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,176 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Muir Woods to Sonoma/Benzinger Winery -- Best Route?

The quickest is not the most scenic, but it will do. Sal is right, 121N to 37 to 121. But not 116...that would take you to Petaluma. When you are on 121 watch for the turnoff to Sonoma. This is Hwy 12. Sonoms is, yes, about an hour from Muir Woods, and would be a good place to stop for lunch.

Then continue north to Glen Ellen on Hwy 12. It is about 8 miles.

Are you taking the tram/tractor tour of the vineyards? If so, I would make a reservation ahead of time.

Dublin, OH
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Muir Woods to Sonoma/Benzinger Winery -- Best Route?

Thank you both...that is very helpful info. Any suggestions for very casual restaurants in Sonoma?

Yes, I should make the reservation ahead of time...my husband was worried about being locked into a specific timeframe but I will check it out....thank you so much!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,685 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Muir Woods to Sonoma/Benzinger Winery -- Best Route?

Not casual but a great place to eat in Sonoma city -- the Girl and the fig it reflects wine country cooking. please walk around Sonoma Square and check out the unique stores there as the cheese store which also has great sandwiches.

Edited: 24 July 2012, 03:24
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,176 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Muir Woods to Sonoma/Benzinger Winery -- Best Route?

The girl and the fig is a bistro menu, and as belomiser said, not *really* casual, but casual enough, and good. Google and look at the menus.

There is a wonderful 11-acre plaza, the largest town square in California, and you can pick up picnic supplies at the Chese Factory across Spain Street to eat there, or preferably, in the Plaza. It is the only public square in California where you can take a bottle of wine, by the way. It was grandfathered in when the rules changed.

There is also a pizzeria on First Street West called the Red Grape. They have a patio and a more extensive menu than pizzas.

Google the above for menus.

Edited: 24 July 2012, 05:05
6. Re: Muir Woods to Sonoma/Benzinger Winery -- Best Route?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2013, 10:16