We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Final Packing Advice Needed

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, OH
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Final Packing Advice Needed

Arriving July 28 and staying until Aug. 3. Temperatures appear to be 60s in the day and in the 50s at night. Itinerary includes:

Day 1: Tour S.F.

Day 2: Bike across Golden Gate bridge to Sausalito

Day 3: Drive down coast to Carmel

Day 4: Drive to Muir Woods and Sonoma winery

Day 5: Alcatraz

Here's what I have:

3 pairs jeans

2 casual dresses

2 pairs shorts

yoga pants

Several Cardigans

Tanks, T's

Fleece jacket

Rain Jacket

Casual Black jacket

I saw a few suggestions for a cashmere sweater..will I really need this in July or am I fine with what I have? I realize I won't need shorts in the city but brought them for the drives outside the city. Thanks!

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,299 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Final Packing Advice Needed

Underwear, socks, hat, and a toothbrush.

Dr. Z

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Final Packing Advice Needed

You really don't need 3 pairs of jeans for 5 days (unless you're as messy an eater as I am!). I'd cut that to 1.

The only day you need anything approaching "summer" clothes is the day to Sonoma. It won't be much warmer in Carmel than SF. So either 1 pair of shorts or 1 summer dress.

The yoga pants (or similar) are a great idea and if you have a second pair I would bring them. They're easy to pack and will be very comfortable for a bike ride yet still look nice to go to dinner in (I live in the suckers).

"Several" cardigans? Again, bring a couple with an eye to those that color coordinate and mix-and-match with whatever you'll wear underneath. Dark colors are better: 1) in case you spill it doesn't show and 2) this is not a "pastel" town.

Tanks: no, except for Sonoma. Ts? Long sleeved only.

I woke up about 4AM this morning and the fog was so thick it was dripping on my balcony and the street was completely wet. I was at the Legion of Honor at 1PM and it was very chilly and breezy (which is what you'll encounter riding across the bridge).

I *never* wear short sleeves in the city. Even on those occasional "hot" days (perhaps 80F) I still wear long sleeves because you just never know when you'll round a corner and be faced with a stiff breeze or the fog will come billowing in from nowhere.

Nor do I ever wear shorts in the city unless I'm heading for the gym.

I always have a sweater with me and often a jacket as well (yes, even in summer).

I'd tuck in a pair of mittens for the bike ride and Alcatraz. A hat too.

I KNOW this is hard to wrap your mind around but SF is just not a warm weather town. Nor do we have the humidity that is a fact of life in the midwest and east. When we say the fog is our "natural AC" ... we mean it.

Edited: 28 July 2012, 03:37
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,085 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Final Packing Advice Needed

You wont need the rain jacket. We get summer fog, but no rain. Once in awhile there will be a day with just enough rain to measure, but thats all.As for casmere - i have lived my entire life without it - definitely not a must have.

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Final Packing Advice Needed

Your covered. Close the suitcase & head for the airport.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,090 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Final Packing Advice Needed

I second the hat and mittens, for your Alcatraz visit.

It is supposed to get a little warmer next week, but it won't be anywhere near the water.

I'd skip one cardigan and one pr of shorts. Comfortable walking shoes are a must though.

Have fun here, we know you'll like it!

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Final Packing Advice Needed

I found I was much more comfortable when I had on a tank top, under a very lightweight sweater (long sleeved or 3/4 sleeve), and then carried my fleece jacket wherever we went. That jacket went on more than I thought it would! And, I even took to wearing socks with my sandals....yeah, I know, a fashion no-no, but had to keep my feet warm. I dislike tennis shoes and my other casual shoes were not comfortable enough to wear all day long walking around SF. So, yeah, I Ioved my thin socks with my Teva sandals. :)

Edited: 28 July 2012, 06:28
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,592 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Final Packing Advice Needed

I almost lit a fire tonight, but stuck it out instead and finally retired upstairs where the heat rises.

Dublin, OH
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Final Packing Advice Needed

Thank you so much...really appreciate all the helpful advice ! My kids are looking at me like I'm crazy when I tell them to take out most of the shorts from their suitcase and put in extra jeans and fleece jackets! Can't wait to arrive in your city tonight!!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,490 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Final Packing Advice Needed

A direct quote from my partner on waking up this morning, "I'm turning on the heat. We're having our cold July weather again."

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Final Packing Advice Needed

LOL holodan. I've only turned mine OFF a couple of times this summer. And the fog horns are going like crazy this morning!