We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NightLife? Option in SF

Toms River, New...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
NightLife? Option in SF

where is the best place to hang listen to some feel good music, lounge, bar in SF we are staying for about a week in the castro/noe district.. we're all about 30 so we still enjoy a go time but aren't looking for the college scene and craziness, we are also from NYC and enjoy places like http://www.brooklynbowl.com, great cocktail bars, fun must see venues like cafe wha (although more touristy than ever these days) and secret venues that nyc has to offer, i have to imagine SF has its share of space locals keep to themselves!!! please share!!!, i was reading about mission bowling in SF http://missionbowlingclub.com/ but not sure if that's the same type of place.. again we are pretty laid back don't mind the hipster scene and some good people watching, just thought there'd be a few dope spots for music and wine/cocktails/craft beer to check out after a great meal with some friends?????

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
309 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: NightLife? Option in SF

The Mission sounds like the neighborhood you're looking for. Don't know any specifics though

Toms River, New...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: NightLife? Option in SF

thanks rylan

i have been reading alot about places in mission we dont travel until the end of aug from the 23rd to around sept 2 or 3 so if any one has other ideas or specific location's bars lounges etc i can look into between now and then please let me know

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,761 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NightLife? Option in SF

try places such as the Local Edition, Bourbon and Branch from the Speakeasy days or Comstock Saloon and please see if they are places you want to visit

The Mission, North Beach are neighborhoods you may like

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: NightLife? Option in SF

You want the Mission.

There are so many potential bars you might like.

Perhaps you can utilize Yelp for specific recommendations.

Start a topic on SF talk forum for suggestions, and use corresponding reviews to further help you.

Toms River, New...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: NightLife? Option in SF

Thanks lynn

I've never used SF talk forum how does that work?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NightLife? Option in SF

Some places you might like would include Zeitgeist, Lucky 13, the Phone Booth, (lower Haight) Toronado, Mad Dog In The Fog, (upper Haight) Gold Cane, Aub Zam Zam, (North Beach) Specs 12 Adler, Buena Vista, Vesuvio.

For out of the way, I'd recommend The Broken Record. Great food and good whiskey and beer selection.

There are tons of places all over the city. Here's one listing:

…sfweekly.com/foodie/2012/01/san_franciscos_…

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,092 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NightLife? Option in SF

I will suggest Cafe Du Nord, which is in the Castro area. It seems pretty spot on with your brooklynbowl example. http://www.cafedunord.com/

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
69 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NightLife? Option in SF

Some good spots in the Mission for 30-somethings right now are Dear Mom (as hipster as it gets), Southern Pacific Brewing (huge brewery with food), Shotwell's (standard dive), Bloodhound (more SOMA than Mission, but great mixed crowd), The Abbott's Cellar (stupidly expensive but amazing beer selection), Monk's Kettle (like Abbott's Cellar but smaller), Elbo Room (oldie but a goodie, two floors with music/dancing upstairs), Blondie's (the strongest martinis ever), Revolution Cafe (for live music), Latin American Club (have always left that place with blurry memories..). Good luck and have fun :)

Source: I'm a Mission 30-something.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,914 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NightLife? Option in SF

Good list, Meli! Yes, Mission isn't too far of a walk or an easy cab ride down from Castro. Lots of great places there, but if you tire of that, head to the Mission.

Mission Bowling isn't bad, though it can be a long wait to actually get a lane since it's a small place. Other bars in the Mission that I like are Cassanova, Amnesia, Dalva (and their "secret" bar in the back, Hideout) and also Elbo Room and Latin American Club. Monk's Kettle is good for food as well as their incredible beer list. Just start at 16th and Valencia and make your way down toward 24th.

Edited: 13 August 2012, 06:55
Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,983 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NightLife? Option in SF

Yes, you'll like the Mission. The Mission can be a little TOO hipster--so consider yourself warned! I recommend the Elbo Room for drinks and dancing. Zeitgeist and El Rio might also suit your fancy. (No dancing at Zeitgeist, just incredibly ironic flannel.)

I don't like Blondie's personally...kind of a lame atmosphere a la the Marina...but you can give it or any of the nearby bars in the 16th/Valencia area a try. Closer to the Castro, I recommend a visit to Cafe Du Nord. Check its website to see if you want to see any of the live music (w/ cover) that tours there.

By the way, if you're looking for cheap happy hour drinks, the Castro is the place to be. I can't offer any specific recommendations, though, as I never make it there for HH. (I just hear the fantastic stories from my friends who live/work in SF!)