We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gay bars

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gay bars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2016, 20:00
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,311 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gay bars

Here are some links.

http://sanfrancisco.gaycities.com/

http://www.sanfrancisco.travel/lgbt/

http://www.sanfrancisco.com/gay/

It might be helpful to say how old you are. That might affect people's recommendations.

The Cafe used to be popular, not sure if it still is, Twin Peaks is I think more of a bar than a club, but it used to be popular too.

2. Re: Gay bars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2016, 20:00
San Mateo...
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gay bars

I've always enjoyed Martuni's when entertaining a mixed crowd of friends. Here is a link to some reviews:

www.yelp.com/biz/martunis-san-francisco

There is a strange review in which a guy insists it's a lesbian bar (maybe he went when they had a special event for the ladies?), and there are also a few reviews about the staff being a tad rude. But it seems the majority of people have a great time here. I know I did the times that I visited.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,578 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gay bars

I just want somewhere to go where it doesn't matter about your age, gender, race, sexuality etc., just somewhere to go and relax...

Then why does it have to be a gay bar? SF as you know is an extremely tolerant city. It dosen't matter what bar you go to, no one really cares about your age, gender, race, sexuality, etc. Just how much money you have.

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gay bars

Pure gold, Social! LOL!

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,029 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gay bars

Agree Dam. Don't think I've ever been in a bar or restaurant in SF (visiting since 1967 "summer of love") that a good percentage of staff or patrons did not "play for the other team." I'd just look for a GOOD place to go and not worry about the orientation category.

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Gay bars

Go to the Castro and look around, all the bars are very close. Twin Peaks is the bar on the corner with large windows that would be a good choice, as is Harvey's on 18th, which also serves food. Cafe Flore on Market has tables on the street. Bars with a lot of natural light tend to work for everyone, but no place there will anyone make you feel uncomfortable. Of course there are some bars where you probably don't want to be with Mom at 100am, Have fun.

Edited: 12 August 2012, 23:39
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,429 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gay bars

** "SF as you know is an extremely tolerant city. It dosen't matter what bar you go to, no one really cares about your age, gender, race, sexuality, etc. Just how much money you have." **

Unless, as the OP himself notes, it's a gay bar for dudes where female customers aren't appreciated.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
69 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gay bars

I'd like to second the recommendation of Martuni's - it's a piano bar that is predominantly gay, but is welcoming to all of every orientation and age. I go there with my girlfriends to belt out show tunes. It's a very fun place, but low-key enough that your mom won't feel overwhelmed.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,698 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gay bars

The rap about Gay bars not welcoming straight women comes from the bad assumption that it'd "be a hoot for all the giggling girls in the bachelorette party to go gay-bar hopping". I've found this true. They are not welcome in that situation.

Alternatively - there are plenty of Gay bars that would celebrate a with-it mom or granny who could "hold court". Think Elizabeth Taylor at "The Abbey" in LA.

Martuni's, Harvey's, and Twin Peaks are all good options.