We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry to Sausalito from Fisherman's Wharf

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Connecticut
Level Contributor
186 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry to Sausalito from Fisherman's Wharf

I am planning to be in SF next week. I wondered if you have to get tickets in advance to take the ferry to Sausilito and back. Can you just go there and get the tickets?

How often do the ferries run? Should I buy the tickets on line, or could I do it the day before or same day?

Thanks for any help on this subject.

MB

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry to Sausalito from Fisherman's Wharf

Hiya,

We just bought ours there, I think about an hour before departure. I think they go pretty often (I can't look up timetables as I'm on my phone) but maybe it was every 45 mins or so? Hopefully someone can clarify :)

But yeah, as far as I know, no need to buy the day before or anything like that!

Stelle

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry to Sausalito from Fisherman's Wharf

There are two ferry lines that make the run between Sausalito and SF. The Blue & Gold depart from Fisherman's Wharf. The Golden Gate Ferry leaves from the Ferry Building. They both use the same dock in Sausalito.

There is no need to purchase tickets in advance but you might consider NOT getting a round trip ticket as you might decide to return on a different carrier than you went on and the tickets on one are not good on the other.

Schedules:

blueandgoldfleet.com/ferry-services/…

goldengateferry.org/schedules/Sausalito.php

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry to Sausalito from Fisherman's Wharf

I agree with RamblinSal regarding NOT buying a round trip ticket so that you have flexibility in your return trip. You should, however be aware that while both Golden Gate Ferry and Blue & Gold use the same dock in Sausalito, on the San Francisco side trips terminate (and originate) from different locations on the waterfront, with Golden Gate Ferry docking at the Ferry Building at the foot of Market Street, and Blue & Gold using Pier 41 just north of the Pier 39 conglomeration. If you're preplanning your trip you might want to make sure you know your transportation options from each of the two locations; it can be a particular PITA if you made the mistake of driving and have to reclaim your car.

Edited: 12 August 2012, 17:40
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,250 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry to Sausalito from Fisherman's Wharf

Great advise above. Are you planning to do a city tour or bike across the Golden Gate Bridge. There are tours such as Dylan's which have a half day tour and you have the option of getting off in Sausalito and taking the ferry back.

Plenty of folks bike from Fisherman's wharf to Sausalito which is a 8 mile ride and then take the ferry back and most are not Olympic gold medalists or winners of the Tour de france (well i bet 99.9% are not)

Just pointing out that there are other options to check Sausalito out . If you plan to eat there, please check out the Sausalito forum and search it for suggestions on where to eat. Search "restaurants' and sort by date to get our latest recommendations.

Edited: 12 August 2012, 17:57
Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,873 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry to Sausalito from Fisherman's Wharf

As stated above, (1) buy your tickets when you get here since they never sell out and (2) don't buy a round-trip ticket so that you have the flexibility of using Golden Gate Ferry or Blue & Gold Fleet.

The Ferry Building and Pier 41 are located on different parts of the SF waterfront. It is a flat, reasonably scenic walk or bike ride between the two. You can also catch the F historic streetcar line (http://www.sfmta.com) or flag down a pedicab (negotiate price before getting in).

Mostly importantly... Have fun!

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry to Sausalito from Fisherman's Wharf

We recently took the ferry from the Ferry Building to Tiburon and back, and bought tickets on board, with no problem. I think the savings from buying a r.t. vs. two one-ways was a dollar or two. The return ferry (last of the day) went from Tiburon to Sausalito to Pier 39 to the Ferry Building. We both liked Tiburon more than Sausalito, though the latter has more restaurants, etc.

Edited: 13 August 2012, 20:43
Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,873 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry to Sausalito from Fisherman's Wharf

In the case of Tiburon, it's entirely reasonable to purchase a round-trip ticket; Blue & Gold Fleet is the only ferry operator between there and San Francisco.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
36 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry to Sausalito from Fisherman's Wharf

Would like your advise on how to reach Fisherman warf from Cottle Station in VTA ( near San Jose ) using VTA/BART/Muni. What is day pass on Muni which covers cable cars also in SFO.

Additionally how to reach Sausalito from wisherman warf by using Bus or ferry. Is Muni pass valid on bus to Sausalito.

thanks

Edited: 14 July 2013, 18:14
Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,873 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferry to Sausalito from Fisherman's Wharf

Not sure why you posted your question on this thread, as your own would solicit more responses. However, I'll go ahead and answer...

From Cottle, you have two options to reach Fisherman's Wharf on a weekday:

1. Take the VTA Light Rail to Santa Clara Station in downtown San Jose. Transfer to VTA Route 181, which runs to Fremont BART Station. Catch BART there and ride to San Francisco (either direct or via transfer at Bay Fair). Once in SF, you can get off at Embarcadero (walk, bike, or take the F streetcar to Fisherman's Wharf) or Powell (cable car to Fisherman's Wharf).

2. Take the VTA Light Rail to Convention Center Station in downtown San Jose. Transfer to the free DASH shuttle to Diridon Station. Catch Caltrain there and ride to SF (4th & King). Walk across the street to the bus stop on Townsend Street and catch the Muni 30 line to Fisherman's Wharf.

http://www.vta.org

http://www.bart.gov

http://www.caltrain.com

http://www.sfmta.com

On weekends, the directions are slightly different. For the first option, the bus number is 180 instead of 181. For the second option, you have to take VTA Light Rail (the line going towards Winchester) to get between Convention Center and Diridon Station.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,873 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferry to Sausalito from Fisherman's Wharf

The Muni Passport is good on Muni only, not on anything else. The buses to Marin County are operated by Golden Gate Transit, so they require separate payment.

For ferries to Sausalito, you can catch Golden Gate Ferry from the Ferry Building (walking distance to Embarcadero BART Station) or Blue & Gold Fleet from Pier 41 (near Fisherman's Wharf). Golden Gate Ferry will be the easiest for you.