We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Teen girl things to do in SF and driving there to LA

Philadelphia, PA...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Teen girl things to do in SF and driving there to LA

Taking my 17-year-old daughter to San Francisco next week and then drjiving from there to LA. She loves shopping, funky culture, animals, and adventure.

Any recommendations of things to do in SF and stops to make along the route from Half Moon Bay to LA? We'd particularly like to find little towns with interesting crafts or boutique shopping.

Thank you!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,088 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Teen girl things to do in SF and driving there to LA

Since this is the SF forum this would be the place to discuss SF and you can then post in towns along the route depending on which route you take and how much time you have.

Plenty of shopping in SF from Malls and designer boutiques in the Union Square area to boutique shopping in hayes valley, the mission and on Union Street. Our zoo is not the best in the world but if you do want to go there you could. Funky culture -- humm. Not sure I get that but perhaps you can explore our Chinatown and the Mission for some funky culture.

Not much in HMB but Santa Cruz would be a great place to visit.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,644 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Teen girl things to do in SF and driving there to LA

Stop and watch the 17 year old surfer boys in Soquel, Capitola, Cayucus, Santa Barbara and Malibu.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
661 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Teen girl things to do in SF and driving there to LA

Not sure if it's an option but I'd say that Santa Cruz is more interesting to a teenager than HMB. Is she at the age where it's fun to look at college campuses? (even if she won't go there?) UCSC is beautiful and different than most.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,743 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Teen girl things to do in SF and driving there to LA

Carmel has interesting boutique shopping. So does Santa Barbara.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,233 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Teen girl things to do in SF and driving there to LA

Cambria is an artist community with lots of fun shops, but not what I would describe as boutique type shopping.

San Luis Obispo has a fun downtown shopping vibe.

The Village of Arroyo Grande, while not huge, has some nice shops.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,586 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Teen girl things to do in SF and driving there to LA

"Funky culture" could include a huge variety.

Maybe Haight Ashbury (including a visit to Amoeba Records if you're not in a rush; it's one of the biggest indie music and movie retailers in California). If folk arts and crafts from Tibet interest either of you, you'll find several shops along Haight. This neighborhood is next to Golden Gate Park and you could fit them into the same day.

Japantown isn't the City's biggest tourist draw, but the Kinokuniya bookstore is a big draw for anime and manga fans, and of course there is a variety of other Japanese businesses.

Santa Cruz has more than enough to do to fill a day, both on the beach-boardwalk-wharf and the downtown, which attracts many young people since Santa Cruz is a college town.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
665 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Teen girl things to do in SF and driving there to LA

Shopping:

The first trip I took to SF (with my college-age son and daughter) we somehow went to H&M three times in four days, mainly because apparently none of us can count items of clothing desirable to pack for a given number of days.

We definitely all were happy spending hours each trip in the Kinokuniya mall.

Of course your daughter may not care for Hello Kitty, anime or manga or Asian style crepes.

The good thing about her advanced age is that she can tell you for herself.

Animals:

Sea lions at Pier WhicheverItis.

Buffalo/Bison in Golden Gate Park

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for Louisville
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Teen girl things to do in SF and driving there to LA

I second the trip to Haight Ashbury- my daughter had to get another carryon for all the stuff she bought there. She found some very good deals as well. You might have to explain what the funny smell is (pot) everywhere, lol.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
477 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Teen girl things to do in SF and driving there to LA

+1 for Haight Ashbury area stroll. Also Union Square (two Forever 21 stores, an H&M, soon a Uniqlo) + Westfield mall.

10. Re: Teen girl things to do in SF and driving there to LA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2013, 21:15