We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pros and Cons to different car rentals

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
242 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Pros and Cons to different car rentals

Will be in SF in Sept. staying in Union Sq area. Will be renting a car when we leave to drive down to Hearst Castle. Haven't rented a car in long time. Was wondering if one company is better than another right now? What do I need to look for on getting a great deal? we will have a car for a week. Budget and Avis are giving a better price than Hertz, so what am I missing???? Appreciate any advice. both drivers over 25

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,300 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pros and Cons to different car rentals

Hertz is very often the most expensive. They have a reputation of being the best, but personally I find all the major brands acceptable. I've had the best luck finding the lowest price with Alamo lately. I've found prices change often, so I book whichever is cheapest and check rates often. When I find a lower rate I book it and cancel my old reservation.

You can find coupon codes on the internet and Alamo has an Insiders club that you can join online free and get discounts on any rate. Even if you find a coupon to use you can get an Insiders discount in addition to the coupon.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
50,419 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pros and Cons to different car rentals

Hertz and Avis usually have newer or better maintained cars in their fleet. Having said that, I usually just go with whichever major company that has the lowest price. I haven't really had any truly unsatisfactory experience with the likes of Alamo, Thrifty, Enterprise, Budget, etc.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,300 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pros and Cons to different car rentals

Sammy,

My experience with the major rental car companies is they all have practically new cars. The only time I've had a rental with many miles on it was from an off brand like Payless.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,452 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pros and Cons to different car rentals

Agree with przyk - Always check the actual website of the companies for deals -- often you get a 20 or 30 percent off deal or something similar. If you get a deal with Avis/ Budget (same company) please go with it. Typically deals away from the airport may be cheaper as the taxes/fees are less.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,727 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pros and Cons to different car rentals

Go with Avis. I have had a few bad experiences with Budget.

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pros and Cons to different car rentals

Make sure you check the car for damage before you even get in it.

Also see if car interior smells of tobacco.

If it does give it back other wise they will charge you for clean up.

I would only rent from Hertz,Avis ,National, Enterprise.

If you have triple AAA card go through them.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
242 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pros and Cons to different car rentals

Great advice, thanks everyone! I will keep checking the websites and seeing what kind of deal I can get.

8. Re: Pros and Cons to different car rentals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 06:17