We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which tour?

Mount Sinai, New...
Level Contributor
66 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Which tour?

Cann't decide on the open bus tour where you can get on and off for 48 hrs, the SF tour that the guild takes you on public transportation or the Fire Engine tour.

Appreicate your feedback and suggestion on the tours

First time in SF snd have 21/2 days staying in Union Square.

Arriving on a Friday afternoon and leaving Monday am to the Redwoods.

I thought a tour to get us aqainted with the city would be a good idea 1st thing Saturday morning, then.

go on go on our own with munie pass. We are seniors.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which tour?

I don't recommend the SF Tour. The idea is a good one but if you really look at where it goes you get some long runs on public transit that aren't particularly scenic. The website says "views of the Marina and Pacific Heights" ... well, that's all you get ... and from Fort Mason no less. This is not a very good or thorough "tour."

After that it depends upon whether you like the idea of a Hop On/Hop Off tour or one that is guided. If you are leaning to a guided tour, look at Dylan's. He gets excellent reviews.

You really don't have much time. I'd suggest a guided tour on Saturday morning and then you can either revisit things that interested you or go on to other places that perhaps weren't covered in the tour.

Depending upon what time you arrive on Friday you could do some touring about on foot around downtown. Do a tour Saturday and then spend Sunday checking out the city on your own. Whether a Muni pass is useful or not will depend on how much you use the cable cars ($6). The senior fare on all other Muni transit is $.75

Mount Sinai, New...
Level Contributor
66 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which tour?

The guilded tour is what I'm leaning towards to" get the lay of the land"

Thanks for the info on SF tours

A friend ,who had live there, said just take the cable cars 4 lines to the end of each line and get off when you want..Good idea?

We took a guilded tour in Boston and was sorry we didn't do it on the first day so that why I want to find a similar one. We like the history of a city.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,832 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which tour?

>>A friend ,who had live there, said just take the cable cars 4 lines to the end of each line and get off when you want..Good idea?

sfcablecar.com has the 3 lines. Two of the lines go from from Market street to Fisherman's wharf and imho the prettiest route is the Powell Hyde Line.

Sal suggested Dylan's so please do that. Boston is a great city for a walking tour for most ages. SF has some great walking routes but the center of the city has plenty of hills that may not be fun to walk up.

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which tour?

We highly recommend Dylan tous

Small business operated by people who care.

They have a pick up in Union Sq.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
805 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which tour?

My 13 year old son and I took Dylan's last month, and it was great. We did the long tour which includes Muir Woods. Dylan knows his stuff. It's also a small group rather than one of those huge bus tours. Our group was only 8, and it was really nice.

6. Re: Which tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2013, 10:18