We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Several questions about SF and Marin travel??

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ATLANTA
Level Contributor
836 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Several questions about SF and Marin travel??

I'm coming Sept 13 and will be there for that afternoon and the 14th and part of the 15th before heading north along the coast and I have a few questions. I will have a rental car and will probably stay somewhere near the Golden Gate Park. I am an amateur photographer and this is one of my main interests in going.

Thanks for helping me with these questions:

1. I want to go to Point Bonita for late afternoon photos of the GG bridge and I can go on Thursday or Friday afternoon. How crowded is it getting across the GG Bridge and what times should I avoid? Will it be crowded coming back into SF? I ask because I live in Atlanta and traffic is horrible here.

2. I'll go to the Fishermans Wharf area and take the ferry to Alcatraz. Is BART a safe way to travel?

3. I wanted to ride the cable car. What is (are) the best route(s)?

Thanks,

Kent

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Several questions about SF and Marin travel??

1. Point Bonita is only open Sa, Sn, Mn from 12:30-3:30: http://www.nps.gov/goga/pobo.htm/index.htm

Coming back across the Golden Gate bridge between 3:30-4:30 shouldn't be a big problem. There will probably be only two lanes southbound as commute traffic will be heading northbound so it may be a tad sluggish but nothing horrible.

2. If you are staying near GG Park there is no BART line nearby. I would catch either the N-Judah or 5-Fulton to Market St. and pick up the F-Market & Wharves which will let you off very near Pier 33. Leave plenty of time for the trip however.

3. Probably the most scenic cable car route is the Powell/Hyde. However it can be very crowded and often times quite a line. An alternative is the California Street line -- never a line and the cars aren't that crowded either. From Market to Powell Street the views are pretty good.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,418 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Several questions about SF and Marin travel??

I would look at hotels along Lombard street with free parking since you want to bring a car with you to SF. Cow hollow, Coventry, buena vista and others. There are relatively very few hotels around GG park.

Please make sure you have your tickets for Alcatraz at the official site -- more info in the top questions

ATLANTA
Level Contributor
836 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Several questions about SF and Marin travel??

I made a reservation at the Coventry. The Lombard Street address looks good. Also, I'll be there Fri and Sat night. I was mistaken about the days so I'll be able to go to Point Bonita.

What is the best way to get to Fishermans Wharf and the GG park from the Coventry?

Thanks,

Kent

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Several questions about SF and Marin travel??

<<What is the best way to get to Fishermans Wharf and the GG park from the Coventry?>>

You can walk to Fisherman's Wharf or walk a block north to Chestnut Street and catch an inbound (left to right) 30-Stockton. You'll pass Ghirardelli along North Point and can get off there if you choose or stay on until the bus turns onto Columbus and get off at the first stop on Columbus (between North Point and Bay (across from the Mariott). On the return board in front of the Marriott and be sure to get a bus with a destination "Broderick" (and not a bendy bus) as the Van Ness buses don't go into the Marina.

For GG Park catch th 28-19th Ave or 28L-19th Ave Limited on Lombard at Fillmore (across the street from the Coventry). Get off on Park Presidio at Fulton. Cross both streets and you can enter the park through the Rose Garden. (Don't take the 28L if you would like to loop up past the GG Bridge.)

Edited: 19 August 2012, 21:48
Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,851 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Several questions about SF and Marin travel??

Re. transit from your motel, a couple notes:

Fisherman's Wharf - There is no direct bus service from your hotel to Pier 33, where the Alcatraz ferry boards. You can piece together the trip using the 30 and 47, or 30 and F, but considering how unreliable Muni is, I would just take the 30 line to the first stop on Columbus and walk the rest of the way.

Golden Gate Park - The regular 28 line (not the 28L) is best if you want to stop at the Golden Gate Bridge en route. Otherwise the 28L is a much faster option. Also consider the 43 line, which picks up one block north of your hotel (at Chestnut and Fillmore) and drops off on Haight Street two blocks from the east end of the park. In order to cut down on unnecessary backtracking, you may wish to take the 28/28L in one direction and the 43 in the other.

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Several questions about SF and Marin travel??

Just to make sure that there's no confusion, although Point Bonita is a really really cool place, it's not the only place to photograph the Golden Gate Bridge from the northern side. In addition to the visitor flooded Vista Point on the east side of Highway 101 at the Marin County end of the Bridge, Conzelman Road on the west side of the bridge seems like it's one continuous photo op for the Bridge, at least when the weather is cooperating. Battery Spencer is one of my favorite places to take visitors who want to see and photograph the Bridge, but there's others. See michaels-pictures.net/html/golden_gate_bridg… for a short narrative including driving directions from another photographer.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,589 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Several questions about SF and Marin travel??

If you have a car - you should just drive to Golden Gate park. There's plenty of parking there - even on weekends, while you might be a bit of a hike from your final destination, it will get you there quicker than public transit.

8. Re: Several questions about SF and Marin travel??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 06:15