We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report!! Checking Back In

Midland, TX
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
173 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report!! Checking Back In

We visited San Francisco August 20-24th. We traveled with Holiday Vacations. There was lots of time to do things we wanted to do and had planned in advance so that made it nice.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn on Fisherman's Wharf. It was basic and clean with a good breakfast buffet in a great location for tourist attractions. No compliants about the hotel.

Our first night there, we took a night tour of Alcatraz. It was spooky and fabulous. We got to Pier 33, where to catch the ferry, on the very crowded F line bus. I had gotten tickets for Alcatraz weeks ago. Several on the tour wanted to go with us, but tickets were sold out. It was cold out on the island!

We say many, many beautiful sail boats! I've never really seen sail boats except for maybe a very small one that is used on a lake. Seeing them in action was a treat.

People were all nice to us in San Franciso. Every time I got on a bus, someone gave me their seat. I'm sure it was the look of terror in my eyes that encouraged them to make the offer. I've never riden on a bus where most of the people stand up. I will say, it got the job done and only cost 2 dollars! What a bargain. No wonder it's crowded.

We took a Napa Vally wine train tour and had a delicious lunch aboard the train. Great Cream Brulee. It was very interesting to find out about all the vineyards.

One night we ate at Boudins. The waitress said she pronouned it BOW-DEAN's. ??? It was really good. There is a bakery there as well as a restauant. I had corn and crab chowder in a sour dough bread bowl. I think that was the best thing I ate on the trip.

We visited Muir Woods. I would love to spend a whole day there. We didn't have long enough! Just part of an afternoon. It's absolutely beautiful and peaceful and breath taking.

We toured the city on the bus. Fog covered the Golden Gate bridge most of the time we were there, but we could see it between clouds of fog. We saw the painted ladies. Some of them needed to be re-painted. Hee Hee, but they were all pretty.

It was very cold to us for the most part. Being from Midland, Tx, we left 108 degree weather. It was cold to us being in the 70s during the day and low 50s at night. I bought a sweatshirt with a hood!

We saw a Giants game at the beautiful new stadium. It is splendid. It's right by the sea! The fans were so excited. It was like attending a college game. We had great seats so that made it even better.

We got to the stadium by taking the F bus to the Ferry Building, then a couple of blocks over, we got on an underground train, that also drove above ground, to the stadium. People were so nice to help us find our way. We mostly just followed the crowd. There were about 42,000 there at the game against Atlanta.

We tried to get back to the hotel the same way after the game, but when we got back to the Ferry Building, no more busses came by. We waited and waited and finally rode a bicylce rickshaw back the the hotel. Thank Goodnes for Daniel, the bike driver. He was great. Best 25 dollars we spent on the trip!

The Giants won so that made it even more fun.

One night we saw Beach Blanket Babylon. It's a silly review that makes fun of current movie stars and political figures. It was very well done. Great singing and dancing. Only wine and beer are served. I like Margaritas so I was out of luck in that regard.

Before the review, we ate at Capp's, an Italian place right next door to the theatre. It was pretty good with great atmosphere. Seemed like it was in New York rather than San Francisco. Food was OK with very generous servings. We walked from our hotel. It was maybe 8 blocks.

We were surprised to see homeless people sleeping on the streets in multiple places we visited. They weren't really scary. They were just a lump on the sidewalk or in a doorway or on a grassy spot.

We rode a cable car. It was real crowded, but it was fun to say you'd been on one.

Flowers are beutiful in San Francisco. I guess it's the cool weather and the humid air. We walked up to Lombard Street. That's the curvy one with pretty flowers. It nearly killed us both. It is a very steep climb. I would have accepted a ride back to the hotel with Ted Bundy. Where is he when you need him? We made it back and collapsed for quite a while. I'm still limping.

One night we ate at Spinnakers. It was good and looked out over the sea.

We saw the many seals there at Fisherman's Wharf and toured the aquarium. Nothing special about the aquarium. Pretty basic. Not bad.

All in all, we really enjoyed our trip. Everyone was so nice and helpful. I'd like to go back one day! Thanks San Francisco for a great trip!

Dylan's Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Bike Tours
Streets of San Francisco Bike Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Bike Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Vantigo Tours
City Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Urban Trek USA
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, City Tours, Walking Tours
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
18,050 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report!! Checking Back In

Glad you enjoyed your trip! We'll be here when you want to plan your next visit ;)

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report!! Checking Back In

<<I would have accepted a ride back to the hotel with Ted Bundy.>> Thanks for the giggle. Glad you had a good time. You didn't make it to Albona then?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,219 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report!! Checking Back In

Giants Fans from Midland TX will always get very special treatment in our City. Come and see us again or if you want to meet Ted Bundy...

Would you do us a favor and post this link in the First sticky post of the San Francisco Forum. It is the one titled Trip Reports....

Level Contributor
36,925 posts
946 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report!! Checking Back In

It sounds like you participated in some of the best things San Francisco has to offer! Great report! :)

Midland, TX
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report!! Checking Back In

Didn't make it to Albona. Got turned around, and it wasn't there so we gave up quickly. Loved everything else though and your directions helped sooooo much! Thanks, again!

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,659 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report!! Checking Back In

Thanks for telling us about your trip--sounds like everything was great. I think you got in on some of the America's Cup World Series sailing events on the Bay, where the finest high-tech vessels, owned by people to whom money is no object (e.g. Larry Ellison or the Queen of Sheba), were strutting their stuff.

You were fortunate to have the Alcatraz tickets ahead of time, as the other folks discovered who wanted to go but couldn't. We're all glad you enjoyed it.

Also pleased that you encountered so many nice people & were even offered their seats on the bus. Almost no one who lives here really likes Muni, it's a necessary evil. So it's good that visitors find it convenient and maybe even fun.

Ted Bundy doesn't live here. But on your next trip, drop by City Hall and watch the antics of some of our politicians. They are almost as scary.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,415 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report!! Checking Back In

Fantastic report, linda. So glad to hear you encountered so many nice people and had such a good time. You sure got a lot done on your short trip. Next time, make sure to come back for a little longer.

Just one teensy little comment (forgive me --- I realize folks from Midland, TX aren't used to various bodies of water, except -- as you said -- a lake). AT&T Park looks over the Bay, as opposed to the sea (isn't "sea" an ocean....who knows, I could be wrong....) but glad you enjoyed it. Great view, right? And, if you got to see a Giants game as well as the preliminaries for the America's Cup next year, that was very fortunate.

Come back when you can and thanks for sharing your SF adventures.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report!! Checking Back In

Enjoyed your trip report, Linda. Sounds like you had a lot of fun, which is one of the most important reasons we travel. We had dinner at The Spinnaker and enjoyed the view so much.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,109 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report!! Checking Back In

Technically, isn't Bay water, sea water?

Come back soon, Linda, and write more trip reports. I really enjoyed your descriptions.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,659 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report!! Checking Back In

** "Technically, isn't Bay water, sea water?" **

Well, technically, there is sea water in the Bay and Bay water in the sea, since they mingle. Ideally, there isn’t a lot of sea water in the Bay, because that would mean the Sacramento and San Joaquin rivers are low and the reduced outflow to the Bay is allowing sea water intrusion—not a good thing for agriculture and fisheries.

Bay water is mountain water. Its sources are those two legendary rivers, which originate hundreds of miles away. The San Joaquin’s headwaters are high up in the Sierra Nevada, in a remote corner of King Canyon Natonal Park IIRC. The Sacramento flows down from the Cascade Range near Mt. Shasta. Just about every river in northern and central California ends up in one of these big ones: the Feather, Yuba, and American, the Stanislaus, Merced, Tuolumne, and Kern. Deep-water channels built along the rivers allow two cities far from the coast, Sacramento and Stockton, to be ports for ocean-going vessels.

The rivers meet near Antioch CA and flow into San Francisco Bay. In good years with adequate rain and snow, there is strong discharge to the ocean so the Bay doesn’t get too briny. And in one of those good years, fans at either AT&T or Candlestick Park would be seeing only a minimum of sea water. :)