We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay for shopping and dining

Turku, Finland
Level Contributor
48 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to stay for shopping and dining

Hi,

I am going to visit San Francisco next April with my husband. We like to do shopping at the daytime and eat well in the evenings. Which areas are the best to stay and which areas should we avoid.

The Union Square neighborhood should be good for shopping but isn't it near the Tenderloin area?

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,237 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stay for shopping and dining

The Union Square area is the place to be both for shopping and dining. Also easy access to the different kinds of public transportation you will be using to get around to the rest of the city. From there you can walk to Chinatown, North Beach and the Embarcadero, also SoMa.

You need not be worried about the "Tenderloin". Many areas are "near" the Tenderloin. Unless you decide to travel into it deliberately you will not be "in" it.

Turku, Finland
Level Contributor
48 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stay for shopping and dining

Ok thanks, it was very helpful to hear this.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,661 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to stay for shopping and dining

As Puter points out you won't end up in the Tenderloin without knowing it (unless you're blind or oblivious).

If you do end up walking west from Union Square and notice things have changed for the worst, simply turn around - in a block or so you'll be okay - like the block or two you just walked to get there.

hlo

Visalia, California
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to stay for shopping and dining

I agree that Union Square is a good starting point for dining and shopping. But I also like staying close to the Ferry Building. We enjoyed Hotel Griffon even tho the rooms are small. We had a fun time in the hotel bar which had nice, friendly people. Boulevard Restaurant is right by this hotel and you cant miss the Ferry Building on a Saturday morning! On the other side of the coin is staying at the Argonaut Hotel. A little cheesy with the nautical theme but its close to Restaurant Gary Danko, Buena Vista (Irish Coffees), view of the bridge, wine bar, etc.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
109 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to stay for shopping and dining

We stayed at The Nikko during our visit to San Francisco, which is close to Union Square (which is the place you wanna be, imo)

I was very surprised by how quickly the atmosphere/scenery changed by just walking a few 100 meters west on O'Farrel Street, and entering the Tenderloin area.

It's definitely not the nicest neighborhood, but we didn't feel unsafe at any point.

But since there really isn't much to see, I wouldn't recommend spending time there anyway.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to stay for shopping and dining

Based on your other thread, if you have a concern about the Tenderloin I would definitely select the Orchard Garden ... it's on the east side of Union Square, way away from the Tenderloin. The Serrano is on the west side of Union Square and while it's not Tenderloin it's much closer than the Orchard Garden.

7. Re: Best place to stay for shopping and dining

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2013, 10:18