We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Yosemite

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
180 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Yosemite

We were planning to visit Yosemite for about 2 days and then drive to to the airport to catch our flight out.

Is staying at Yosemite for 2-3 days too long?

Also, We need to be at the airport by 12nn. We were planning to either leave Yosemite early Sunday morning like 5 or 6am. Could anyone advise if this is feasible given traffic / road conditions?

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Yosemite

<<Is staying at Yosemite for 2-3 days too long?>>

This is a question I would ask on the Yosemite forum. I don't think so but it depends on the amount of hiking you are interested in and able to do.

<<We were planning to either leave Yosemite early Sunday morning like 5 or 6am>>

Sunday morning should be fine. Weekdays might be a different story.

Edited: 06 September 2012, 05:03
Mentioned in this post
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
67,141 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Yosemite

Hi ShamusC

Questions about Yosemite are best asked on the Yosemite NP forum. This one is about the lovely city of San Francisco.

As far as your driving question, if you need to be at the San Francisco International Airport at 12:00 noon, then you can leave by 7 am, stop on the way for a quick breakfast, and arrive at SFO before noon. It's only 4 hours to drive. I don't think Sunday morning traffic will not be congested in the Bay Area, but SF folks might know of potential delays.

-------------

This tiara is uncomfortable. I need to give it back first thing tomorrow morning!

Edited: 06 September 2012, 05:05
Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
San Francisco International Hostel
San Francisco...
432 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Yosemite

No, 2 -3 days is not too long at all-- there's plenty to fill up that amount of time even if you were to just spend it all in Yosemite Valley. I don't think you'd have a problem with traffic when leaving that early. I visit Yosemite every year and it seems like we always hit traffic heading down the mountain after 10AM or so.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
180 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Yosemite

Thanks for the advise guys. My apologies for posting in the wrong forum. I had abit of problem locating the Yosemite Forum (doesnt bode well for a guy planning to drive in a foreign land huh?)

On a more SF topic direction, is there anything of interest near SFO? An option I'm considering is to leave Yosemite Sat eve and check into a hotel near SFO. Kinda hate risking any delays when dealing with catching a flight.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Yosemite

HAH! I've finally gotten rid of the TTT PNWF! Thank you! My version is Cartier (of course) but it's terribly heavy. Thanks for taking it off my ... errr, head.

Edited: 06 September 2012, 05:14
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,993 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Yosemite

Its wise to be closer to SFO on Sunday if youre worried about catching your flight. But you wont need to right by the airport if you dont need to be at the airport till noon Sunday. Yes, you could leave yosemite later in the evening and spend the night in one of the towns along the way and that gives you extra time to get to the airport. Ive stayed in Merced and its quick freeway driving. The main question is how comfortable you are driving down from Yosemite at night.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
180 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Yosemite

Thats the thing, how are the roads like?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
57,403 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Yosemite

here is the link to the Yosemite forum

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g61000-i315-Yosemi…

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,628 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Yosemite

The roads going to Yosemite will be wide 4 lane freeway from San Francisco to the Central Valley and then will become mostly a 2 lane undivided road once you reach the central valley. Some portions are steep and windy and I wouldn't recommend doing the drive after sunset

Edited: 06 September 2012, 16:30
Mentioned in this post
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
67,141 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Yosemite

Some of the roads are curvy or winding, and they're perfectly safe after sunset. Watch for animals in the late afternoon (deer are crepuscular and more active then.)

The big surprise for some people is that there aren't any street lights. (The things that surprise visitors amaze me. No streetlights? Free parking? Slower speed limit on winding roads? Restaurants closing early? It's hard to know what is unexpected for foreign visitors.)