We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Point Reyes

Nebraska
Level Contributor
2 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Point Reyes

While staying in SF I would like to visit Point Reyes and Sonoma. Would it be possible to do this in one day? I will have a car.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
869 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Point Reyes

Sunny,

It's possible, and it would be a long day, but it depends on what you want to do and see. A very early start would be essential.

If it's the lighthouse and maybe some whales at Point Reyes you want to see, that will take about half a day. But if you want to check out the visitor center (highly recommended--this place is VERY unusual) and hike a trail, even the easy and very pleasant Bear Valley, 4 miles in each direction to the sea, that will take just about all day.

From SF, take the road over Mt. Tam, to Muir Woods, instead of the coast road. They meet up again near Stinson Beach...but the views are better from above. The time isn't very different and either choice requires navigating twisty narrow roads with insane locals in Porsche Carreras on your butt the whole time...The drive from SF to Olema-Pt. Reyes Station will take about an hour. The ride to the Lighthouse is another 30/45 minutes or so...Stop at the market in Stinson Beach for some fresh squeezed OJ...

The drive from Point Reyes to Sonoma or vice versa, is about 1 1/2 to 2 hours using Drake Blvd towards/from Novato.

San Diego, Ca
Level Contributor
181 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Point Reyes

If you only have a day, pick one or the other. I'd get up in the morning and check the weather forecast. Pt. Reyes is often foggy or overcast throughout the morning, sometimes all day...it can be rather chilly, windy, and miserable. But if you get lucky and have a clear, sunny day, the views are great and the beaches are fine for walking. Have Sonoma as a backup--the weather will almost always be better there.

pacifica
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Point Reyes

I'd aggree with last person. Point Reyes is often foggy in AM but, there's much more to see than the lighthouse. They have an elk hurd there, heart's desire beach which youcan kayak at, a great lagoon (good for bird watchers)..i'd look up pt. reyes and figure what part of it you'd really like to see. If it's sunny then it would be hard to decide for me.

I guess you could do both in one day but, if you enjoy wine tasting then just do Sonoma for a day...a bed & breakfast in that area is very easy to find. plus they have a cute little plaza there.

Truthfully it all depends on your personality. If you like the beach/nature=pt.reyes, If you like wine, some restaurants and more of an inland drive=sonoma. But I like the drive on the coast but, be careful if ya' get car sick.

Good luck.

Morro Bay...
Level Contributor
815 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Point Reyes

It would be a long day and you would not be able to do justice to either area. If chosing only one, I would opt for Point Reyes. If you have additional time, drive south for a bit. It is a beautiful area, as it the entire California coast from there south to San Luis Obispo. Sonoma is fun, too, especially if you are into wineries and rolling green hills. The little town of Sonoma is lovely and great for window shopping, $$$$ for buying! Really depends on what you most enjoy.