We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on Nike Marathon - Oct 2012

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nor Cal
Level Contributor
131 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on Nike Marathon - Oct 2012

Hi fellow travelers

I will be traveling with friends to San Francisco Oct 13th thru 15th. One of us will be running the Nike Half Marathon that ends at Golden Gate/ Ocean Beach awhile the other two lazy ones (i.e. me) will be watching. Can anyone tell me the best view point? Easy parking? Lease congested place would be? I've included a course map link in hopes that someone familiar with the area can give us some ideas on where we should be.

…nike.com/nikeplus/…2009_NWM_course_map.pdf

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on Nike Marathon - Oct 2012

I would not suggest trying to drive and park that day -- or any day for that matter. But on a race day there will be certain road closures that will make the usual maddening event that is driving around SF truly a cause for hair pulling.

I would think the most fun spot to be would be at the finish line to cheer your friend in ... ?

You probably could see her off at the start and then make you way to the end by the time she finishes. (And more power to her.)

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,780 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on Nike Marathon - Oct 2012

Nice! I run the Nike half every year, so I know the route well.. The starting line at Union Square is an absolute madhouse at 7AM, so wouldn't recommend trying to cheer her on there, but there are some designated "cheer stations" that I think would be fun....one is along Marina Boulevard, close to Fort Mason, though that's still early on in the race. Another would be at mile 11, just as they're heading into the park. The finish line is also a great place to cheer her on. You could probably do some spot along the route and then finish line.

Parking is going to be tough anywhere along the route, but I do have friends that always leave their cars parked near the finish line the night before, that way they don't have to deal with public transportation issues when they're done. If you head over there early enough, you might be able to find street parking, but it will definitely be a major headache.

Edited: 12 September 2012, 20:31
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
387 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on Nike Marathon - Oct 2012

Not to hijack your question...but I will be there with my daughter who is running the half also. Its her first time and both our first time to SF. Can anyone tell me how to get to that last cheering spot and then onto the finish line from Hotel Vertigo on Sutter? I am considering going to cheer, but she does say she is taking the bus back to Union Square that they provide and she will need to shower ASAP.(not her first marathon, just the SF one)

Thanks for any help.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,780 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on Nike Marathon - Oct 2012

The easiest thing to do would be to purchase a ticket on the "spectator shuttle" so you'll have an easy way to get out there, and more importantly, to get back downtown. Public transportation is a pretty chaotic from Ocean Beach back to Union Square because of the number of people trying to leave the area.

Head to the expotique on Union Square when you get to the city and look for the ticket booth (usually on the side facing Macy's) to buy at ticket. Looks like they're $20 this year.

The NWM website seems down right now, but I found some info here: http://help-en-ca.nikeinc.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22799/~/nike-women%27s-marathon-2012#park3

Nor Cal
Level Contributor
131 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on Nike Marathon - Oct 2012

@ cintagreen - thanks for the link - I've been pulling my hair out trying to find information and it seems to be almost non-existant

@superrn - hijack away - the more questioned asked the better off I'll be :-)

Edited: 13 September 2012, 16:26
6. Re: Advice on Nike Marathon - Oct 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2013, 10:15