We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fox Rent a Car, San Francisco, Beware.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
177 reviews
Save Topic
Fox Rent a Car, San Francisco, Beware.

Are these guys in the business of ripping people off or just wasting time at the counter.

Booked online for a full size car for 9 days for 240.75 total price.

Left my paperwork sitting at home - shame on me.

I had read they were very slow at the counter but not that they were slight of hand artists. My wife collected the luggage and I got to the line in an attempt to save time. Thirty minute wait time and I was only the 5th person in line. By the time I go away from the counter there were a dozen. I felt sorry for them. Still the car wasn't ready - we had a 20 minute wait in the bowels of the parking garage while they washed the car.

We got a "free" upgrade and I declined all options. Ford Taurus was very nice - we congratulated ourselves our good fortune.

Got home and pulled up the trip ID to verify it all and learned was overcharged 145.57

A dispute is being filed.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fox Rent a Car, San Francisco, Beware.

I think if you had checked here first we might have informed you that Fox does not have a good rep (or do a search of this forum for "Fox").

However, I hope your trip otherwise was delightful and I certainly hope you'll be writing us a Trip Report shortly (we love them!).

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fox Rent a Car, San Francisco, Beware.

Next time take a look at Hertz.

Join there gold club for free.

As a member you go to garage look for # next to name.

Get in car say hi to people at exit gate bye bye.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
82 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fox Rent a Car, San Francisco, Beware.

Fox made me wait for 45 minutes in Vegas...I arrived at 2 am in the morning exhausted! Customer service is disgusting! But I got a Mustang for low price that made me happy!

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fox Rent a Car, San Francisco, Beware.

Even though you left your paperwork at home, you should have had access to it online at some point before your trip ended. You didn't notice the higher amount when you returned the car and got your receipt? What specifically was changed, price-wise, from what you signed for (presumably you have your copy of the agreement you signed at the rental counter) and what you paid? Extra tax? Amount of time you had the car? Something else? Will you lodge a complaint with your credit card company? I've rented from Avis, Enterprise, Hertz, Budget, Alamo and Dollar and have never been overcharged over what I was informed of in advance. Hertz is fine, though can be more expensive, and doesn't always have a better selection of cars than others (e.g., for some reason when we wanted a Premium car they only had Mercury Marquis).

Fox is a discount company and sometimes you run risks in an attempt to save money. Sometimes it works out.

Edited: 14 September 2012, 18:33
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fox Rent a Car, San Francisco, Beware.

p.s. a long wait can take place at many companies, and can vary by location as well as company. Fox may be worse than others.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,030 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fox Rent a Car, San Francisco, Beware.

Sorry. What paperwork are you talking about if you booked it online ? You agreed and signed something when you got the car and I guess got a copy when you dropped off the car. Is the issue that the rate you were quoted online with taxes et al less than what you signed off on?

Humm. I guess your credit card company can help fight it for you

In this day and age of smartphones, web based email and travel trip planning sites such as tripit, it is easy to have the info on hand or just a computer away and easier to solve problems in real time on site than via the phone and email

Edited: 14 September 2012, 19:01
Virginia
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fox Rent a Car, San Francisco, Beware.

Wow caveat emptor indeed.

Paperwork was the guaranteed price quote from Travelocity. In this day of smartphones etc. a company should still follow through without the need of my overseeing the transaction. Call me old fashioned but the burden of proof shouldn't be placed on the customer.

I performed my due diligence, checked the reviews and was very aware they were a budget company and they would waste my time in exchange for the price. However I saw no review mentioning unscrupulous behavior with what I hope was a renegade clerk.

8. Re: Fox Rent a Car, San Francisco, Beware.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2013, 10:17