We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in SF

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
369 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas in SF

We've decided we need to get away at Christmas and SF is on our list...never been before. I know it's wonderful anytime..but are there any special/magical events for the season and is one area (to stay) better than the other for that time?Thanks

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,117 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas in SF

Great and i am sure you will have a great time. Union Square would be a good place to stay in the thick of it with the tree and lights and the displays at the windows and a skating rink. Not to mention Shopping. There are other areas such as the Embarcadero and Fisherman's wharf that have decorations as well.

Nutcracker is a Christmas tradition which we love to go to as well. The only thing we miss in SF is a real white Christmas which I don't think most of us mind -- we can drive 3-4 hours to get snow.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas in SF

The Symphony also has some great holiday programs: www.sfsymphony.org

Beach Blanket Babylon (which is always fun) has a Christmas show.

Macy's windows hosts a special adoption event for the SF/SPCA which special decorations and adoptable kittens and puppies in the windows (during opening hours). It's always worth an "Ahhhh."

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
104 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas in SF

We too are looking to get away at Christmas! So far I've bought tickets for the Symphony's 'Twas the Night performance and also tickets to see The Lion King. The Lion King isn't Christmas oriented but still something special.

We like to stay in the Union Square area (The Chancellor), you can't beat the convenience.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas in SF

Well be there too

The Babylon show sounds like fun

Were thinking of a Christmas dinner cruise

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
14,997 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas in SF

I'd avoid a Christmas dinner cruise... the weather is just too iffy at that time of year. I can't think of anything less enjoyable than lurching around the bay on a cold, rainy, windy night.

One other special thing at Christmas is -- it's CRAB SEASON!!!! And many Italian restaurants serve a special Christmas Eve "Feast of the 7 Fishes" dinner. Ours is just plain cracked crab (melted butter or mayo), salad, sourdough bread and Sauvignon Blanc.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
369 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas in SF

Thanks for all the help everyone !...We will be staying in the Union Square area (haven't booked yet)..the crab sounds wonderful, Susan...any particular restaurant we should go to?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas in SF

Something to take into consideration

Here in Seattle we commute by ferry so were kind of used to the rocking

Won't be there till midnight Christmas eve

Best place for crab in your opinion?

8. Re: Christmas in SF

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 September 2012, 01:20
Edited: 19 September 2012, 01:20
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,068 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas in SF

Crab.....Sotto Mare.

Or Waterbar. Or Tadich Grill. NOT on Fisherman's Wharf.

My favorite, though expensive, is Waterbar. Sotto Mare is wonderful, but they are small and don't take reservations. Get there early.

Edited: 19 September 2012, 01:20
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
14,997 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas in SF

Freberd, since Seattle has dungeness crab, too, I'm not sure you'll find it a special treat here. But I actually don't mind Scoma's at the Wharf for fresh crab or crab louis.