We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

restaurants not to miss

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
restaurants not to miss

I was searching old posts and found a couple old ones with the topic. Restaurants not to miss or last meal at this restaurants

Love to hear what you all to say for 2012

Best restaurant for san Francisco vibe?

Best view?

Best breakfast?

Best hole in the wall?

And any others you can think of

Thanks

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
53,537 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: restaurants not to miss

I don't understand when someone ask for Best of something. My best may not be the best for someone else so perhaps it would be best to look at local newspapers and weekly and see their best of which hopefully has more than one person voting for it.

Here is one

sfweekly.com/bestof/…

You can look at www.7x7.com and www.Thrilllist.com for their own best list. www.sfgate.com/food has their top 100 restaurants

Best view for me does not mean the best food. My best breakfast may just be a great cup of coffee and a pastry which may be different for different people.

Edited: 18 September 2012, 22:37
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: restaurants not to miss

I'm not sure what a "San Francisco vibe" is exactly and I've lived here almost 40 years. The places I go most often are local neighborhood spots and not downtown ones. Can you tell us what a "SF vibe" means to you?

View restaurants are often extremely touristy and the price paid for the view isn't worth the low grade food. But the exception that proves the rule is Waterbar and Epic Roasthouse.

Breakfast is something that you probably want near to where you're staying ... where is that?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: restaurants not to miss

Vibe = local

I know San Francisco is diverse like Seattle

We are staying in union square

inn of beresford arms

My mom is a smoker wasn't alot to choose from

Instead if best how about favorite

I enjoy trip advisors reviews

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
53,537 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: restaurants not to miss

Did you look through the lists I gave you. DId you like any of them ? Have you looked at www.opentable.com and there is a favorites list there as well based on plenty of feedback.

There are hundreds of locals restaurants here as there are in Seattle. So if you get out of the touristy areas such as Union Square and go West to any neighborhood, you will find local restaurants.

I would not consider trip advisor reviews to be the place to look at for food and restaurant reviews. Yelp urbanspoon and chow are where the food discussions take place. Please take a few minutes to read all the sites I have suggested and you should find many places to eat at.

Edited: 18 September 2012, 22:54
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
21,343 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: restaurants not to miss

SF vibes, could be Castro, could be Stockton St in Chinatown, could be North Beach, could be SoMa, could be some other local neighborhoods. These are all legitimate SF vibes.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: restaurants not to miss

Considering there are over 3500 restaurants in San Francisco I wouldn't even know where to begin

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: restaurants not to miss

I will look at suggested websites on a real computer this evening

When i came across this past topic. It looked like a fun informative topic and responses

Doesn't seem as fun now

Thanks for info

sf
Level Contributor
3,474 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: restaurants not to miss

Look at the lists then come back with the types of restaurants you are interested in visiting for recommendations. Right now the choices abound.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: restaurants not to miss

Thank you for the links they were what I was looking for

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
239 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: restaurants not to miss

Wow! What is wrong with asking for people's personal experiences/ recommendations!

To the OP - I've done a lot of looking around and I had settled on Gary Danko and Slanted Door as well as the Food Trucks on a Friday night and the Markets for breakfast on Sunday.

I'm still considering booking Cotogna.

I read that Cliff House is great for views during the day and other recommendations for brunch at the Palace Hotel.

A real SF institution is Zunni Cafe because of the links back to Chez Panisse and the roast chicken is their go to dish.

Hope this helps a little!