We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco visiting L.A.

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Balears
Level Contributor
35 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
San Francisco visiting L.A.

Hello,

as in the spanish site there's no much info I decided to ask for help in the english site.

I will be spending a week in SF and I was thinking of going to Los Angeles for a day trip taking the plane early in the morning and flying back at night. I'd like just to see the main attractions taking the hop-on hop-off bus.

Do you think it is worth? I dont want to stay the night in LA but I really would like to see some of that well known city. I've worked out I would have more or less 7 hours there.

Thank you very much and sorry if my english is not properly written.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,950 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco visiting L.A.

Your English is fine. In fact, it is excellent.

If you want to do this, I would take a very early flight to LAX and a late flight back from LAX because the Los Angeles airport is not that convenient to sights in Los Angeles, and since it is so vast you would probably need to rent a car and plan your time VERY carefully. As in, what do you hope to see? I don't know about hop-on-hop offs in LA. That seems rather unlikely to me, considering the amount of territory there is to cover. But, I suppose if you found transportation to Hollywood you would find a tour.

LA is not usually thought of as a "day trip" from San Francisco, even with the convenience of air flight.

I, personally, would not try it.

Let's let the LA people weigh iin on this interesting idea.

Edited: 19 September 2012, 02:56
Balears
Level Contributor
35 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco visiting L.A.

Thanks for your quick reply!!!

Yes, I would take a flight to get to LA airport at 9:00am.

And yes, there are sort of hop-on hop-off busses in LA, I don't know how they call them there though, and they take you to Downtown, Beverly Hills, etc.

My only concern is the time it would take me to get to downtown from LA airport and also back.

I know I will be knackered at the end of the day but as I don't think I will be back in that area of the USA I wanted to see a bit of LA.

Thanks again.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,284 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Francisco visiting L.A.

I would fly out of Oakland instead of SFO to the LA Area. This is because SFO flights to the LA area are mostly delayed. You should post on the LA forum and ask where you can take the tour from.

Balears
Level Contributor
35 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Francisco visiting L.A.

Thanks Belomiser,

I'll have a look at the flights from Oakland airport.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Francisco visiting L.A.

Go to southwestairlines.com for good rates to LA. You canalso fly to Burbank which is near to the film studios.

Balears
Level Contributor
35 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Francisco visiting L.A.

The best price and schedule is flying from SFO to LAX.

Anyway, I have to make up my mind soon before prices go up.

Thanks everybody for your help. Really grateful.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
58 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Francisco visiting L.A.

I went to school in LA and now live in SF. I'm not sure what type of traveller you are but it's hard to see much in LA in 1 day. You'll probably spend minimum 3 hours travelling between both airports (not to mention getting through the LA traffic to get anywhere). I do second the suggestion to go via OAK airport rather than SFO because of constant delays. In my opinion, its not worth the stress if you are just going to run through the standard LA landmarks in 4-5 hours. You won't get a real LA experience doing that in my opinion. There is so much you have to see in SF already.

Balears
Level Contributor
35 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Francisco visiting L.A.

Ok. I am back from San Francisco and I did go to L.A. for the day hehehe. I couldn't help it. True, it was a bit of a rush day but I got to see what I wanted to see.

So this is how it went:

Took a flight from SFO to L.A. at 8:20 and got to LAX about 9:45 I think. From there I took the shuttle bus lot C to the bus station and from there a bus to Santa Monica Beach. Quite easy and cheap, just 1$. Not sure but I think I got to Santa Monica about 11:00 something

Not much to see in Santa Monica so I took the hop on hop off bus from there, the yellow route. Saw all the nice houses around there and got to Beverly Hills and passed Rodeo Drive to get the red routed of the hop on hop off bus. Got off the bus to have a something to eat, don't laugh, at the Pink's Hot Dogs hehe. In 20 mins was ready so I took the next bus and kept going to Hollywood Blv.

I saw the Chinese Theatre, all the stars on the pavement, the big sign of Hollywood far away, had a drink and bought some souvenirs. Stayed there for a while and took the purple route of the bus heading to Union Station. I was told it woudn't take more than 1 hour so I did this because I had plenty of time instead of taking the underground to the Union Station as first was planned.

My flight back was at 20:45 so I was taking the Flyaway bus to LAX from Union Station. The only problem was that due to a problem on the road caused by some police business the traffic jam was important so the tourist bus was a bit late and I thought I wouldn't be able to make it on time. When the tourist bus got near Union Station I had to run to get the Flyaway bus at 19:00. But I did on time.

Yes, it was kind of rush but I saw what I wanted to see. I had never been much interested in visiting L.A. but seeing Rodeo Drive, Hollywood Blv. and other things I have seen on films was kind of appealing. That was the only reason I went there.

By the way, San Francisco was very nice. I did like it much more than L.A.

I know one day in L.A. was not enough to judge but I already loved San Francisco the first day.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,950 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Francisco visiting L.A.

Well, you did it ! And you seem glad to have had the experience. Congratulations, and thank you for reporting back to us.

Now....would you give us a trip report on your stay in San Francisco?

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,328 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Francisco visiting L.A.

Well done and thanks for letting us know how it all went.

Look forward to hearing about your exploits in San Francisco.