We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

eating our way thru san francisco

nc
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
eating our way thru san francisco

we will be driving into the city on friday oct 12 from napa. 4:00 check-in at the radisson fisherman's wharf and tickets to the 6:10 evening tour of alcatraz. we'd like to get a quick bite before the tour and have a nice dinner after. would you please give us some suggestions? we're foodies and this is our first trip to your beautiful city and we want to make it memorable! thanks in advance for any help. we are so excited!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: eating our way thru san francisco

In and Out Burger for a quick bite of grease at the Wharf, Boudins for an overpriced touristy stale breadbowl, and then don't forget to save room for an overpriced Ghirardelhi sundae as well. Neptune has good views of San Fran Bay but is pricey.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,485 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: eating our way thru san francisco

Codmother fish and chips for a snack or Buena Vista for some Irish coffee with something to nibble and then perhaps you could eat at Butterfly SF which is right next to the Alcatraz pier for dinner after your cruise.

www.sfgate.com/food has a list of top 100 restaurants.

Check out www.offthegridsf.com for food trucks, the ferry building for a taste of SF, our neighborhoods such as the Marina which is not too far from where you are for some great food -- Also the Mission and Hayes Valley Plenty to do and eat North Beach which is a short walk away has great cafes and Italian restaurants.

Most locals would not recommend most restaurants around the wharf .

I personally would not recommend any of the places mentioned by the very confused poster from Nebraska. Last I heard he was still trying to figure out how to get from Point A to Point B in SF and how to create Fog over the GG Bridge I don't know what his agenda nor do I get his sense of humor. Having said that In N Out is a good fast food joint

Edited: 19 September 2012, 16:45
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: eating our way thru san francisco

Off the Grid is a good idea but I don't know how much time you'll have. It supposedly starts at 5PM but I've never gotten there that early to know if people are still setting up that early. And the Alcatraz Cruise folks ask that you get there 30 minutes ahead.

Butterfly is a good suggestion for after. Or head to North Beach. SF isn't a late dinner town so when you get off the ferry head directly to where you want to eat (Butterfly's location makes it the one I would chose).

Too bad for foodies to be staying at Fisherman's Wharf. Other than the nearby Gary Danko, there isn't much in the way of good food in the area.

nc
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: eating our way thru san francisco

thanks for the input - after reading the forum section, we're looking at north beach or chinatown for late dinner - is that doable - suggestions?

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: eating our way thru san francisco

Do allow some extra time to get across the Golden Gate Bridge on Friday afternoon, as it will have less lanes going south than the commute lanes going north. That persists into the early evening! And causes some people to be late for their City dates.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: eating our way thru san francisco

From the wharf you can take the cable car & walk a few blocks to Thai Spice. It is a neighborhood resturants that few tourists visit (off the beaten path). Very good Thai & a nice atmosphere too. I'm on my phone or I'd link directions, but you can find it on Google maps.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: eating our way thru san francisco

Wow, thanks Belomiser. You are supposed to be our superior and our role model for TA. No need to be disrespectful of my naive ways. I apologize but isn't TA a forum for tips, tricks, advice, chat, etc.? I apologize but the things I talk about are the things I want to include on my itinerary. If you only knew my excitement to get to the City by the Bay, spend my Nebraska money, and chat with the locals. If I offended you in anyway with my "sense of humor" I truly apologize.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: eating our way thru san francisco

Just curious, do these destination experts live in SF as a requirement? And do they get paid per comment, or how?

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
15,387 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: eating our way thru san francisco

Oh, man, you mean you guys get paid??? And here I am doing it for free!!! Where do I sign up?

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,160 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: eating our way thru san francisco

Who gets paid? Not me, not belomiser, not RamblinSal, nor any other destination expert. We are called "volunteers".