We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute vacation - searching for a basecamp.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Last minute vacation - searching for a basecamp.

Hi, we are nixing a European vacation last second, and decided to check out the Bay area.

We are intersted in seeing San Francisco, Sausalito, and Napa Valley. ( we think)

We are trying to find a central location basecamp and do day trips. Ideally, good running out the door.

Any suggestions. We have to plan this trip today, what fun!

Mentioned in this post
Napa Valley
Napa Valley
California
Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute vacation - searching for a basecamp.

Hi, I think I saw your other post. I agree that it is best to spend a few days in SF & then a few in Napa or Sonoma. Although the areas are geographically close, traffic makes day trips a major pain.

PS Are you looking for a place to stay where you can go for a run in the morning. Any hotel on the Embarcadero or at Fishermans Wharf is good for a run along the bay. Union Square is also good, but you'll finish your run uphill. If you like trails look at the Inn at the Presidio. It may be difficult to get a room there though.

Mentioned in this post
Napa
Napa
Napa Valley, CA
The Embarcadero
The Embarcadero
829 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute vacation - searching for a basecamp.

How long is your trip? If much more than a week I see no reason not to stay in both SF and Napa. Sausalito is an easy 30 minute ferry ride (or a bike ride over and ferry back) from SF.

Mentioned in this post
Napa
Napa
Napa Valley, CA
Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Last minute vacation - searching for a basecamp.

Thanks, now we are headed back to Spain.....

Man, I was sort of lookng foward to traveling the US. You take for granted how wonderful this country is!!!

This is our next trip for sure :-)

Thank you! I was this close to buying those tickets...........

Edited: 01 October 2012, 16:13
Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
4. Re: Last minute vacation - searching for a basecamp.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 09:19