We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best view of the city @ night in san francisco

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Best view of the city @ night in san francisco

I am building my itinerary for the end of November I have never been to san francisco and I was trying to figure out what to do at night. I would really love to see the city at night.

So if anyone has any ideas of the nicest and safest places to see San Fran in all its night time glitter. thank you!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best view of the city @ night in san francisco

To see the skyline of SF you really have to leave the city.

Alcatraz Night tour will give you a ferry ride to the island and back -- great views.

Drinks and/or dinner over in Sausalito and ferry back.

Otherwise, the view from the Top of the Mark are excellent. And a walk along the Embarcadero can be nice too.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,909 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best view of the city @ night in san francisco

I also was thinking the ferry from Sausalito.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,301 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best view of the city @ night in san francisco

If you have a car and I'm not suggesting you rent one just for this, Twin peaks is a great place to see the city at night if the fog has not rolled in but it will be cold to freezing (hope that makes sense) due to the wind, year round.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best view of the city @ night in san francisco

I found the night boat back from Alcatraz was amazing! Be sure to have a decent camera though! Mines wasn't great 1st time round definetly investing in a new camera for my trip in April

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,620 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best view of the city @ night in san francisco

From the top of Twin Peaks or on Treasure Island for great views

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best view of the city @ night in san francisco

You would need a car.

I would suggest Marin Headlands.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
18,163 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best view of the city @ night in san francisco

Staying in town, for a high-level view, go to the Grandviews Lounge at the 36th floor of the Grand Hyatt. The city views are great, day or night. Otherwise, as mentioned, you're in the middle of the city so the views of the skyline will be from across the bay - Treasure Island, Marin headlands, Sausalito, or even Jack London Square in Oakland. Of these, Jack London Square is the easiest by public transport, but it's also the most distant view.

Edited: 30 September 2012, 01:20
London
Level Contributor
980 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best view of the city @ night in san francisco

Definitely go to the grande Hyatt hotel as mentioned above. The views are fab. Go during the day as well. The staff are very friendly N&D do not mind you taking photos.

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best view of the city @ night in san francisco

Thank You to everyone with your help it has made me realise everything I have planned will end up giving me the views I am looking for when I am looking for them :) now since you mention alcatraz night boat I got tickets for the sunset ride how long do you get on the island what time is the last ferry and are you kind of free to just walk around as you please?

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Best view of the city @ night in san francisco

I agree the Grand Hyatt, their bar at top is one of best as far as convenience. Think we paid $15 per cocktail last time, but we did not complain as had great view at little table next to window. In old days, used to go to Carnelian Room but they have since closed so this is best we can find now & we actually like better than old Carnelian Room too.