We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in California- Baseball fan

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Estevan, Canada
Level Contributor
119 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
First time in California- Baseball fan

My wife and I are in San Francisco this coming week from Canada and are taking in 49er game but due to previous plans cannot make Giants games. We were thinking of A's game instead Tues. We are staying in Union Square. How hard is it to get to Oakland for the game. The BART runs close to the stadium I understand but this will be first time on any Subway or Train . Is it walking distance from there? We have never seen a playoff ball game.

Any advice would be appreciated. I would like to buy tickets online before I go Friday or can I find them down there.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in California- Baseball fan

It's very easy to use BART from Union Square to the Colesium. You will be able to walk to the BART station in SF and get off at the Coleium station. The stadium is walking distance from the station ... in fact you'll just follow the crowds.

Since you say you've never traveled by subway or train before I'd suggest you puruse the BART site: www.bart.gov. -- and I'd further recommend that you buy a round trip ticket when leaving SF so you don't have to stop at the Colesium station on the return.

Since these are playoff tickets I would say you must get your tickets ASAP.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in California- Baseball fan

The regular season ended today - you only possibility woyuld be to see the Oakland A's play the Detroit Tigers in game 3 of the division series. As of right now only standing room only tickets are available. You can also find tickets available on stubhub but be prepared to pay a permium

Estevan, Canada
Level Contributor
119 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in California- Baseball fan

Thanks, I will check stubhub now.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,578 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in California- Baseball fan

Tickets sales for the A's have not been good for the whole season. I am not sure if it'll be difficult to get playoff tickets, esp. since the Giants are also in the playoffs.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,548 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in California- Baseball fan

@Thanks did you see the games or a summary at night these past few days. The O.co was packed so it won't be as easy to get tickets as it was say a week ago or even before that.

Estevan, Canada
Level Contributor
119 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in California- Baseball fan

I did buy tickets. Coming all the way from Saskatchewan I do not want to leave it to chance.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,548 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in California- Baseball fan

Good for you. So happy that both the A's and the Giants made it to the playoffs and really impressed with the A's for an amazing season.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time in California- Baseball fan

By the way, welcome to California. I have relatives in Saskatoon so it's good to meet people from Saskatchewan (even if virtually).

I was at the game in Oakland today when they clinched the division title and it was GREAT! It's easy to take BART and the trains even run on schedule posted on http://www.bart.gov

Note: The wording on the tickets can be confusing if you're not used to it. For Oakland:

- Home Game 1 is on Tuesday at 3pm (which is game 3 of the series -- first 2 games are away games played in Detroit).

- Home Games 2 and 3 are game 4 and 5 of the series and will only be played if necessary. If the game is not necessary -- you will get a refund less a service charge.

Check mlb.mlb.com/mlb/tickets/ps_refund_2012.jsp for refund information.

If you purchased your ticket from a private party and the game is not necessary-- make sure you get your refund from the private party as that private party will probably get a automatic refund from the authorized ticket seller.

Edited: 04 October 2012, 07:56
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time in California- Baseball fan

Urggh. Woke up and realized my mistake. Home Game 1 (Game 3) is on Tuesday at O.co in Oakland but the time has not been announced yet. The 3pm PST is the start time for Game 1 in Detroit.

Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: First time in California- Baseball fan

I was at the game yesterday and the atmosphere was electric. What a great game to attend. I hope everything worked out for you.