We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of Hotels @ San Francisco during MAY-last minute deals?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cost of Hotels @ San Francisco during MAY-last minute deals?

Hi,

I am planning a suprise 30th birthday trip around the west coast in May 2013 and I am on a tight budget. San Francisco is the start of the trip and the hotels are proven to be fairly expensive! At the moment, they are on average £150 pounds / $250 US dollar per night for a 3 star standard room in the last week of May. Is that normal?

Can I risk to wait for last minute deal??

Please help, I am very nervous.

Thank you.

Carol

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,533 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of Hotels @ San Francisco during MAY-last minute deals?

Hi Carol, and welcome to TripAdvisor forums.

If 'around the West Coast' includes Yosemite NP, then that's someplace you'd definitely need to book this early. In fact, some rooms types at the few options in Yosemite Valley may already be full. The Yosemite forum page Top Questions has more info.

But San Francisco lodging reservations aren't quite as frantic. Some hotels don't even have their calendar up for May 2013 yet.

Does this visit include Memorial Day Weekend?

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of Hotels @ San Francisco during MAY-last minute deals?

Those rates sound high for "standard" (whatever that means) 3-star hotels. Whose rating system are you using? Rates in San Francisco, which is an expensive city at just about any time, can vary widely depending on whether there's a convention or two in town. If there's a big conference in town, almost all hotels can book early. I see the the American Psychiatric Association's annualo meeting and the Internaitonal Congress on Sotware Engineering both take place in May. One time I had to stay in Oakland because the American Bar Associaton meeting had most SF hotels booked.

Do not expect rates to go down much as your travel date approaches, but you MAY not have to book just yet. Also consider Hotwire and Priceline (see www.betterbidding.com to see what others have gotten with these two services). I'm sure people could make suggestions but would need to know your exact travel dates and wheter you're flexible.

I agree about booking Yosemite lodging asap.

Edited: 08 October 2012, 21:17
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of Hotels @ San Francisco during MAY-last minute deals?

Here's the link to check your exact dates against the convention calendar. As already mentioned, large conventions put a lot of upward pressure on room rates. You may find if you can jiggle your dates around a litle that hotel rates improve in your favor. www.sanfrancisco.travel/meeting-planners/

You can always make a cancellable reservation and continue to look. It's possible that rates may go down in the next few months (if there is not a large convention) but from what I've read in the local paper SF is becoming an even more popular meeting and tourist destination. That popularity drives prices up in general.

London, United...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of Hotels @ San Francisco during MAY-last minute deals?

Hi guys,

Thank you very much for your quick response and the informative advice. I wil definately have a look at all the recommended website!

The plan for the trip is as follow:

22nd May - 3 nights in SF > 1 night in big sur area > 1 night in yosemite > 1 night in death valley > 3 nights in Vegas (booked with the Mirage) > 2 nights around Grand Canyon area > 2 nights in Laugna Beach (booked with Laguna Riviera) > 3 night s in LA.

I am a total America virgin (haven't even held or seen a real US dollar in my life!), so any suggestions are well come!!!

Once again, thanks guys! Your help is much appreciated!

Thank you

Carol xx

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of Hotels @ San Francisco during MAY-last minute deals?

The 3rd Sunday in May is the Bay to Breakers. That will bring some 10,000+, I'd guess. 40,000 people officially register.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
56,533 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost of Hotels @ San Francisco during MAY-last minute deals?

I suggest going up one level to the California state forum. You need some help with your itinerary. There is no way I'd recommend a one night stay in Yosemite on the Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend.

Is there any way you can push your plans back a week? We can chat about the itinerary on the new thread, and leave this thread to the discussion of hotels in SF.

California: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28926-i29-Califor…

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,088 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost of Hotels @ San Francisco during MAY-last minute deals?

Yes, have you booked your ticket and accomodations yet? A few adjustments are needed so you can actually stay in Yosemite.

The SF Bay to Breakers is very popular, as you can see.

Las Vegas tourist bureau must be doing a bang up job selling to the UK and Oz. Do you love to gamble, drink, and watch people party?

What do ypu like to do when you travel?

London, United...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost of Hotels @ San Francisco during MAY-last minute deals?

Hi, yes, flights are booked, based on 2 days before the end of the trip falls on the actual birthday day!! I guess I'll have to reconsider some locations.

No, not really into gambling, but its a must go place right? And no, I am not planning on watch people party, but to party myself :)

Tours such as alcatraz, grand caynon is a must. But, I think the most important thing of all for me, is to taste america! Foodie Tour would be perfect!! :) Any recommendations??

Thanks

Carol

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
56,533 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cost of Hotels @ San Francisco during MAY-last minute deals?

No destination anywhere is a 'must see' for all people. You get to travel to the places that interest you.

Pop over to the Las Vegas forum to find out more about fun dining. Participate in the thread for best feedback. (That forum moves fast!)

And start that thread on the California forum so we can help you with ideas for the rest of the itinerary.

10. Re: Cost of Hotels @ San Francisco during MAY-last minute deals?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 19:19