We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cable cars Christmas day

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Collingswood New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Cable cars Christmas day

We will be arriving in Union Square on Christmas day. Do the Cable Cars run? I have read two different outcomes and was wondering if they ran. That would be great because it will be such a low key day. Thanks in advance.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,451 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cable cars Christmas day

Yes, they are part of out public transportation system (MUNI) and run every day of the year.

Just curious, where did you hear that they would not be running?

Edited: 11 October 2012, 01:19
Collingswood New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cable cars Christmas day

just googled and the message was they do not run on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Day. So glad to hear they will run because I am sure they will be less crowded and It will give us something to do. Thanks for your speedy response.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,452 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cable cars Christmas day

When our kids were young, they were told that Santa used the Cable Cars to deliver his presents. So the cable cars have to work or kids will be sad...

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cable cars Christmas day

My Christmas cards one year was a bunch of Santas on the California Street car.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
14,041 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cable cars Christmas day

It's this website (visitingdc.com/san-francisco/san-francisco-c…) that says they don't run on Christmas, Thanksgiving or New Year's. Of course, it also says the fare is $3, so we know this info is severely out of date at best, where it's not actually wrong!

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
14,041 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cable cars Christmas day

I have to say, I emailed the above website and asked them to correct the info on the cable cars, and they did... within 24 hours!

7. Re: Cable cars Christmas day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 17:17