We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekday traffic leaving San Francisco on Bay Bridge?

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Topic
Weekday traffic leaving San Francisco on Bay Bridge?

I will be driving from San Francisco's Parkmerced district to Reno on highway 80 on Thursday morning. I'm planning on being on road by 8am so I can be in Reno by 1 (is this enough time?). What kind of traffic can I expect going over the Bay Bridge and beyond?

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco Bay Bridge
San Francisco Bay Bridge
1,585 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Reno
Reno
Nevada
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
22,416 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekday traffic leaving San Francisco on Bay Bridge?

In the morning you'd be against traffic leaving SF.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekday traffic leaving San Francisco on Bay Bridge?

From Park Merced you're starting from the southwest corner of the city. If you take I280N to 101N to 80E you will hit traffic all the way until you get onto the Bay Bridge.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco Bay Bridge
San Francisco Bay Bridge
1,585 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekday traffic leaving San Francisco on Bay Bridge?

Do you think it would be faster if I drove on city streets to an on ramp that was closer to the bridge?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekday traffic leaving San Francisco on Bay Bridge?

Not really given how far you'd have to go unless you are quite familiar with the city streets. If you are you could go up Portola to Clipper to Cesar Chavez to Highway 101. But that's not a route I'd give an SF novice.

You could stay on I280 to 6th St. At the foot of the ramp, turn right onto Brannan then left onto 5th one block to the 5th street onramp. But I'm not sure it will help that much.

I280 to 101N won't be too bad -- sluggish but not stop/go. 101 from the 280 merge to the Bay Bridge will be quite slow.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco Bay Bridge
San Francisco Bay Bridge
1,585 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
NoCal
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekday traffic leaving San Francisco on Bay Bridge?

you will hit a little traffic at 280 at 101 and to the Bay Bridge and a tad of traffic entering Sacramento, but should be moving. Once you pass Sac, smooth sailing, 8am should be enough time.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco Bay Bridge
San Francisco Bay Bridge
1,585 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Sacramento
Sacramento
California
California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekday traffic leaving San Francisco on Bay Bridge?

If you leave SF at 8am you won't have any commute traffic by the time you reach Sacramento aroud 9:30 especially since you will leave the freeway on your right and head to Reno via 80. If you don't exit on the right to 80 the freeway turns into 50. If you stayed on 50 you'd head into the downtown area of Sacto and the 50 corridor with lots of large businesses or government agencies. East on 80 you will hit nothing..

Mentioned in this post
Sacramento
Sacramento
California
Reno
Reno
Nevada
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,630 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weekday traffic leaving San Francisco on Bay Bridge?

I think that taking the freeway to the bridge would be faster than navigating your way on surface streets. From I280 traffic usually slows once you get near US 101 and stays slow all the way to the bridge but it's still going to be faster than taking city streets all the way downtown. I live in the vicinicy of Parkmerced and it usually takes me about 3.5 hours to get to Reno (with no traffic) so I think if you leave at 8am you will have plenty of time to make it by 1pm

Mentioned in this post
Reno
Reno
Nevada
8. Re: Weekday traffic leaving San Francisco on Bay Bridge?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 11:18