We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marines' Memorial Club and Hotel--good location?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando
Level Contributor
375 posts
144 reviews
Save Topic
Marines' Memorial Club and Hotel--good location?

It's on the corner of Sutter and Mason. Looking for feedback on this area--is this truly a "Union Square Hotel"? Not that that matters a whole lot to me (somewhat central location and close to transit is), just want to make sure it's a safe area.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,086 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marines' Memorial Club and Hotel--good location?

Yes, it's fairly close, and safe if you follow the usual city street smart rules.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marines' Memorial Club and Hotel--good location?

<<fairly close>>

Good grief it's two blocks away and on the north side of square, which IMO is better than south, of course it's a Union Square area hotel. It's a nice spot and the bar at the top is nice and not nearly as expensive as many "top of"s in town.

Edited: 18 October 2012, 05:57
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,168 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marines' Memorial Club and Hotel--good location?

Sal -- We should recommend this place when folks ask for suites. I did a quick check and saw they have suites that they say sleep 4-6 for about 380 before tax and that may not be bad for 6 in a suite in the Union Square area. It is when they ask for suites for 6 in the 250 range that is an issue

Orlando
Level Contributor
375 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marines' Memorial Club and Hotel--good location?

Thanks for the reassurance.

It gets decent reviews here on TA, and includes full breakfast (important to DH) and full bar happy hour (important to both. Ha!). I prefer more luxurious accommodations, but this seems like a good deal for SF.

Belomiser~~$380 for a suite is a steal.

Monterey Bay...
Level Contributor
817 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marines' Memorial Club and Hotel--good location?

Our family has stayed here for a reunion for the past 25 years. The location is fine.

Personally, I moved my immediate family from here 8 years ago or so because the MM was exempt from the smoking policies. With asthmatics in the family, it became a health concern for us. Overtime, they seem to have adopted the "no smoking" rule and have redone their rooms and suites. The suites are large!

The rooms are usually of standard size, but since it's an older hotel, some ramdom ones are extremely small. The windows are also single pane, so I'd suggest the highest floor possible. Suites are on the 4th and 3rd floor. If you get a room on the 3rd floor, you'll be above their theater. I still remember the year "Stomp" was playing and we had a 3rd floor room :).

If you get a room facing the alley, the trash collectors do come early in the AM, do the higher you can go, the better.

The bar on top is great, beautiful view and the food has been excellent at times.

If I haven't stayed in every suite, I've pretty much been in all of them. You'll have a great time and I wouldn't worry about your choice or location.

Orlando
Level Contributor
375 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marines' Memorial Club and Hotel--good location?

I requested a higher floor when I booked. Hopefully they'll be able to accommodate. Have you been in the corner king rooms?

California
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marines' Memorial Club and Hotel--good location?

Corner King are nice. I personally have not found the rooms at the Club too small as I don't spend a lot of time in the hotel.

The only problem I see is that the Marines Memorial is getting too much notice. As a member, I would prefer not so much interest! Just kidding.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marines' Memorial Club and Hotel--good location?

Does the Marines Memorial ever fill up with service members? I know they get priority, so I wondered if the hotel might not be available to the general public on some dates.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
530 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marines' Memorial Club and Hotel--good location?

We have booked a corner king room at the Marines Memorial Club and Hotel for two nights mid December. I will report back and let you know our experience!

Cheers,

Sue

Orlando
Level Contributor
375 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Marines' Memorial Club and Hotel--good location?

Thx, Sue! I currently have reservations at The Chancellor also, for $100 night cheaper than MM, including $25 food/beverage credit. I'm leaning towards that, but like to keep my options open. The corner king sounds nicer but I'm not sure it's $100 per- night -extra -nicer, kwim? I look forward to your review!