We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free or not free activities New Year's Eve

Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
330 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Free or not free activities New Year's Eve

We will be there with our daughter who is in mid-20's. I usually try to avoid restaurants that evening as you are often rushed, get bad service and food but we will need to go somewhere as we need to eat. I tried searching the internet for activities sponsored by the city but could not really find anything. Is there something special that happens that night? - We used to have something called First night here that had outdoor entertainment and then fireworks at midnight. Of course, in New York, Times Square is the place to be. We are staying in Union Square area.

Any suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Free or not free activities New Year's Eve

Fireworks take place along the Embarcadero near the Ferry Building.

sfstation.com for events (most will charge). You may have to wait a little while for complete listings to go up.

www.opentable.com is a resource for what restaurants will be offering. Chinatown or other ethnic offerings may be serving more their "regular" menus.

Mentioned in this post
The Embarcadero
The Embarcadero
829 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
330 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Free or not free activities New Year's Eve

Thanks for the web sites - I found some activities listed - There is one at City Hall listed for $35-45 but does not give much information - this is what is listed 3 Areas of music | Massive Balloon Drop

Hosted Bar | Biggest DJ Talent | Party Favors + Much More. I also found a masquerade ball listed. We won't know anyone - are these known to be fun events?

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
19,077 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Free or not free activities New Year's Eve

Most events in SF for NYE are "parties" -- promoter-driven events at clubs or hired venues with DJs, sometimes bands, drinking, etc. We don't have a First Night event here... they tried for a few years, but SF is definitely a drinking city and it wasn't popular. The fireworks at midnight are the only public celebration, usually viewable from the Embarcadero near the Ferry Building. More info on events should be released after Thanksgiving.

Mentioned in this post
The Embarcadero
The Embarcadero
829 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Folsom, California
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Free or not free activities New Year's Eve

link to a lot of the parties happening NYE weekend... Good luck!

metrowize.com/…monday

Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
330 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Free or not free activities New Year's Eve

thanks for the link. Just trying to figure out if we go out for dinner and fireworks and go to some place - we are a couple with daughter in mid 20's - not sure if it will be easy to find something that suits all of us.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
6,023 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Free or not free activities New Year's Eve

It may be tough to satisfy all three of you, as most events in SF are promoter-led and feature live or DJ music, dancing, and lots of drinks. Ticket prices will be high, and there is a general rushed feeling at nicer restaurants, etc. My friends and I (ages 25-35) have shifted to low-key affairs as a result and will be skipping the SF club scene for a second year in a row.

You might have some luck at neighborhood bars instead, assuming you like to drink. Perhaps the Mission if you are feeling hip or the Marina if you're feeling yuppie. If you don't want to drink the night away, I suggest eating at a non-fancy neighborhood restaurant (read: outside the tourist mecca that is Union Square, preferably ethnic food) and then going to the Embarcadero for fireworks. Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
The Embarcadero
The Embarcadero
829 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
7. Re: Free or not free activities New Year's Eve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2013, 10:18