We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Healthcare Charge????????

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sheffield England
Level Contributor
428 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Healthcare Charge????????

I'm just trawling various reviews looking at comments and suggestions for restaurants in SF and have looked at menus on one or two restaurant websites. I was very surprised to see a footnote on one menu about a 4% healthcare charge. What on earth is that? And is it universal in SF - or across California even?

Honolulu, Hawaii...
Level Contributor
71 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Healthcare Charge????????

From what I've read it is only in SF. Not all restaurants do it. Some include it in the price of your meal, some add a 3 or 4 percent charge to your bill.

Your question has been asked a lot.

This link has a good discussion on the topic.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k365222…

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Healthcare Charge????????

It is an SF thing only. And the charge is not always 4%. However, restaurants in SF are required to provide health care for their employees. Some choose to put it on your tab as a line item. Those that do is more often 1-2%. Others have just rolled it into their menu prices.

Given that overall prices in the US are quite a bit less than the UK, I wouldn't let a couple of bucks on your dinner bill be of concern.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Healthcare Charge????????

Under the 2006 San Francisco Health Care Security Ordinance, San Francisco employers with 20 or more employees must provide health care for their employees. They can do this by purchasing employee health insurance, contributing to a city-run system or paying into a health reimbursement account.

Some restaurants like to air their attitude about this issue. Others simply adjust their menu prices to maintain whatever profit they need to survive. Restaurants must pay other fees and taxes when they employ people but they don't list all that on the menu do they?

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,457 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Healthcare Charge????????

The bad thing about the tax was that it turned out lots of restaurants were not using the full extra charge for health care. They were pocketing part of it as profit.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,314 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Healthcare Charge????????

I prefer to avoid dining at those restaurants if I know that they add this as a line item on the bill. I don't like the "statement" the management is making about that. The right thing for any employer with 20 or more employees to do (unlike what Walmart does) is to provide employees with access to health care. I wish LA would mandate the same.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,931 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Healthcare Charge????????

Here is Walmart's health care benefit.

http://careers.walmart.com/company-benefits/

The restaurants that visibly add the cost do so as a protest and awareness, EVERY restaurant includes the costs of doing business to the prices they charge whether or not they show them broken down individually.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Healthcare Charge????????

As a protest, or as a way of making extra money? Here's an article from last year: …wsj.com/article/SB1000142405311190410670457…

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Healthcare Charge????????

Oh please. It may be a local political issue but for visitors it's not that big a deal. It may be on the bill or it may be hidden in the menu price. But we're talking a few bucks.

And having been on these forums for awhile I note that foreign visitors are more than willing to suck up all the "good deals" they can score in the US (many bringing empty suitcases) but then complain about our tipping culture. Or in this case, our health care charges.

I certainly don't mean this specifically to the OP but I find that when questions like this come up we all seem to chew our legs off over them. No one puts a gun to anyones head to dine at an establishment that charges 4%, or 2% or 0%. It's the cost of coming here and, as I've said before, it's not that much.

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Healthcare Charge????????

4% on a 100 buck meal is $4; big whoop.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,412 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Healthcare Charge????????

>>4% on a 100 buck meal is $4; big whoop.<<

When you factor in the 8.5% sales tax and the 4% healthcare charge that comes out to $12.50 for the $100 meal