We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need ideas for engagement proposal on Christmas in San Fran

NYC
2 posts
Save Topic
Need ideas for engagement proposal on Christmas in San Fran

Hi everyone,

I will be flying in Dec 24th pm and staying in the city until Dec 26th before heading to Napa for the weekend. I am planning to propose to my girlfriend Dec 25th, but am having trouble thinking of ways to do it. Would appreciate any romantic, scenic, low key ideas.

What types of activities would be open on Christmas in SF?

Probably plan to do it during the daytime, then hopefully find a romantic restaurant that is open for dinner.

Many thanks,

D in NYC

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,200 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need ideas for engagement proposal on Christmas in San Fran

On the Golden Gate Bridge. In Golden Gate Park. At Twin Peaks. Up Coit Tower.

But my suggestion would be - others will confirm exactly where I'm describing - over the Golden Gate Bridge, up the hill to the left there is an old fortification. Around there, with it's unusual (to most) perspective of the Golden Gate Bridge.

Problem will be, on Christmas Day, getting her there without her wondering why you're going.

My other suggestion would be under Cupid's Span. Check it out.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need ideas for engagement proposal on Christmas in San Fran

LDN is referring to the Marin Headlands which has a lovely view but isn't that easy to get to unless you have a rental car. Here is info on Cupid's Span. Wouldn't be my choice as there are usually a lot of people wandering around the area: oldenburgvanbruggen.com/largescaleprojects/c…

Some suggestions:

Crissy Field: There is a small grove of trees right on the bay about 1/4 mile along. While there are usually people dog walking and all in the area it might be quieter on Christmas Day.

The Spire: An Andy Goldsworth installation in the Presidio. The trail along there is quite peaceful. Across the street is Inspiration Point which has a lovely view as well.

Stow Lake in GG Park. There's a fabulous walking path along the trail and you can take the bridge across to the island in the lake. This is one of my favorite peaceful places and there are benches in the area as well.

Twin Peaks: Again usually not deserted and the view is completely dependent upon the weather.

Legion of Honor/Coastal Trail: The museum will be closed on Christmas but it's location is spectacular. With "The Thinker" in the forecourt, a fountain out front and a view of downtown in the background.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,972 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need ideas for engagement proposal on Christmas in San Fran

Sal has given you some great recommendations. The area in Golden Gate Park, presidio and west would be great. Here is the issue, it may be cool and rainy or drizzly on that day but you should know that in advance so please plan for one of the outdoor places but you may need to have an indoor plan

Dinner choices are not that many on Christmas day. Please avoid the touristy FW restaurants. Please check out www.opentable.com after Thanksgiving to see Christmas day menus and you can make a reservation there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,200 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need ideas for engagement proposal on Christmas in San Fran

Thanks for confirming Marin Headlands, Sal. Yes, it is tricky to get to. Even with a car it's down there, across there and back up there. But it is lovely. And will probably be quiet on Crimbo.

I would like to make clear that Cupid's Span was a suggestion based on it being a massive symbol of love. It's loud. It's public. And it's silly. But silly isn't always wrong.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,567 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need ideas for engagement proposal on Christmas in San Fran

I would agree with idea of going somewhere outdoors with nice views of the Golden Gate or the ocean if the weather is nice. There are a whole lot of spots in the Presidio which will be reasonably uncrowded, even on a nice day. There are also some batteries (military fortifications) just south of the golden gate bridge with views. You even have nice views from the lawn at Fort Winfield Scott. The trails near inspiration point are a great idea from Sal. A picnic one of these places at the warmest part of the day if it's not rainy, the ground soggy or the weather foggy could be good.

For indoor proposal spots, you may have more limited choices on Christmas Day since many things are closed. Perhaps a rooftop lounge with a nice view or over a nice dinner, depending what is open. While some spots at Fisherman's Wharf have nice water views, the food at most places there is mediocre at best and the area tends be overrun with tourists.

If you're looking for places with good food and water views, Waterbar (seafood) and Greens (vegetarian) are some of the few places, aside from maybe some places in the ferry building or maybe in Sausalito. Who knows what restaurants will be open on Christmas Day.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
16,171 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need ideas for engagement proposal on Christmas in San Fran

I agree that you may need an indoor alternative, as weather at Christmas can be iffy. My problem is trying to find one... most of the "usual suspects" (Coit Tower, a museum, etc.) are closed.

Oh, the Palace of Fine Arts should work! It's open, but covered, and is a beautiful faux-Roman "ruin" with surrounding water, fountains, swans, etc.

One possible alternative would be in your hotel room... order flowers, champagne, a picnic of her favorite luxury foods, etc..... but all that takes advance planning.

Or if weather is bad, call the restaurant where you've planned dinner, let them know you're proposing, and see if they can provide flowers or something special.

And I wouldn't try to find a romantic restaurant open on Christmas on the spur of the moment. Many local, neighborhood restaurants are closed, those that aren't closed are liable to be booked. Even impersonal hotel restaurants are usually packed on Christmas. And an engagement isn't the type of special event you want to celebrate in a random Chinese restaurant that happens to be open -- unless you've both got the kind of sense of humor to make that part of your story together!

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need ideas for engagement proposal on Christmas in San Fran

if your going to do this on Christmas day, it will limit your options. Not sure it is your best choice. Plan on indoors

But, if so, find one of the tall hotels with a great view from top. Maybe one with a dining room (hopefully open) at top.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
16,171 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need ideas for engagement proposal on Christmas in San Fran

There aren't any more hotels with top-floor dining rooms, unfortunately. Grandviews at the Grand Hyatt is closing (has effectively closed, as the food service is now limited hours, buffet only, and the bar is limited hours and cash only). I believe it formally closes this week sometime, with a new restaurant opening on the mezzanine.

The Marriott Marquis has a top-floor bar with some food options, so that might be an alternative.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,972 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need ideas for engagement proposal on Christmas in San Fran

wow. I wonder why all these restaurants with a view are closing . The Food was never the draw. The view and the drinks were. Well the view and a drink to go with it. Same thing with the Hyatt Embarcadero and Medjool

Perhaps our Fog had something to do with it. Marriott Marquis, Top of the Mark, Marine Memorial and Harry Denton's are ones that come to mind that are open.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need ideas for engagement proposal on Christmas in San Fran

I would not dismiss the weather out of hand. Yes, it may rain and a back up covered spot is a good idea (the Palace of Fine Arts is an excellent suggestion). However, the weather could be clear and sunny (albeit not warm), or perhaps with some dramatic storm clouds brewing. Either way outdoors is every bit a 60-70% chance.