We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

places to buy dvds

Adelaide
Level Contributor
222 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
places to buy dvds

I'm looking for store to buy dvd's from, something like the selection that Borders used to have. I'm guessing that Walmart would probably have a good selection but I'll rather not buy from them. I know that internet has a good selection and everything but I like to browse(and buy) in stores too. I'm going to buy a region one player while in SF.

Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,205 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: places to buy dvds

Type 'DVD stores near San Francisco' into Google and it will give you options.

You know you can buy a Region 1 player, or All Region player, from home? You don't need to buy it in the States then cart it round your entire holiday and then back home.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: places to buy dvds

There isn't a Walmart in San Francisco so you don't have to worry about being tempted into one :)

There is a new Target store on 4th Street at the Metreon.

For used DVDs, take a look at Green Apple on Clement and (I think about ) 5th Street.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,205 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: places to buy dvds

Is Walmart evil?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: places to buy dvds

Amoeba records may be another possibility in the Haight. They have both music and movies. I believe Rasputin records on Powell St also has dvds. Though I like Amoeba much better, Rasputin is probably better located for most tourists.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,366 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: places to buy dvds

Best Buy is another store for DVDs in the city. I am sure you can get multi-region DVD players in Australia, can you not ?

Ironically, the closest Walmart is not a store but the development center for walmart.com in San Bruno but you can only get developers there and not DVDs :-)

Edited: 13 November 2012, 15:20
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,205 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: places to buy dvds

Multi-region, that's the word. All region... What an idiot!

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,710 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: places to buy dvds

I don't know that I would use the word evil, but I don't buy from Walmart either. Even for the retail industry, which is not known for being an employee-friendly industry, their labor practices are terrible.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,205 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: places to buy dvds

Would that be likely why the Australian OP doesn't want to shop there either?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,430 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: places to buy dvds

This is a travel forum, not a political chat room on the virtures or lack of by various companies.

The OP has asked a simple question.

Amoeba Music is great, Aquarius Records is interesting and Target probably has the most conventional selections.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: places to buy dvds

Besides Best Buy, FYE has a selection but the closest one is at Tanforan in San Bruno. Don' t know if you want to travel but BART stops at the Mall.