We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

san mateo to san francisco transportation

milwaukee
Level Contributor
426 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
san mateo to san francisco transportation

I will be staying at the san mateo marriot for 2 nights and plan on spending all my time visiting san francisco - what is the best transportation for during the day and in the evening...

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,761 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: san mateo to san francisco transportation

Is that not about 20 or so miles South? Is there are reason you are staying there instead of in the city.

Caltrain goes from SM to SF www.caltrain.com has trains but the run frequently on during peak hours and hourly at other hours

You will have to spend for caltrain round trip you may want to call your hotel or check their website if they have a Caltrain shuttle . It is going to take you about an hour each way I would urge you to either look for SF hotels or check with the hotel for their shuttle

Edited: 14 November 2012, 14:52
milwaukee
Level Contributor
426 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: san mateo to san francisco transportation

I am staying with my cousin who is a flight attendant and gets the hotel paid for so it would not make sense for us to pay for another hotel.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,761 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: san mateo to san francisco transportation

ok sanmateomarriott.com/public-transportation.p… I get it. You just have to plan using the caltrain timetable.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,983 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: san mateo to san francisco transportation

You have two basic options: Caltrain (direct) or BART (via airport shuttle). The Caltrain option is your best bet, assuming you don't mind the more limited schedule.

The Marriott link above misleadingly refers you to the San Mateo station. In fact, the Hayward Park station is walking distance (approx. 3 blocks) from your hotel. I suggest using it as your origin station for your travel into San Francisco. More information here: caltrain.com/stations/haywardparkstation.html

If you don't like the Caltrain schedule, you can ride the airport shuttle and catch BART from SFO. Service is more frequent, but it's less direct and you have to pay the airport surcharge.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
829 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: san mateo to san francisco transportation

Isn't San Mateo served by SamTrans buses? Do they still go to the city, or only to BART or Caltrain?

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,983 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: san mateo to san francisco transportation

SamTrans buses aren't a very convenient option in this case. OP may consider using Routes 292 and 397, which run between San Mateo and San Francisco, but see http://www.samtrans.com to understand the associated time requirements. The SamTrans buses may be a good option for late-night trips back from SF but that's about it.

milwaukee
Level Contributor
426 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: san mateo to san francisco transportation

So would renting a car be better?

8. Re: san mateo to san francisco transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 16 November 2012, 00:36
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: san mateo to san francisco transportation

Between renting a car and paying for parking, you'd be better off giving up a free hotel room located 20 miles away in order to stay in the city.

10. Re: san mateo to san francisco transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 14:19